1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The White People v. Black People issue in Sports will NEVER die!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sportsbruh, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Anyone who argues, seriously, that the historical experience of African Americans, up to and including the experience to this very day, is not sui generis in the history of this country is unworthy of serious rebuttal.
    I'm sorry. You just are.
    I post a reply to 'yab's summoning up of ancient -- and long defunct -- anti-Irish sentiments and I get some gate sing from god knows where about Jewish people, which is neither a reply to me nor a reply to 'bruh, for all that. And alley, the same year that S&V were executed -- after a trial in which anti-immigrant sentiments were disgracefully employed, but a trial nonetheless -- 16 black people were lynched in one state.
    http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/shipp/lynchingyear.html
    Difference, difference, difference.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yes, and yes, and yes. Ellis Island etc.

So all of you are gonna tell me, that all those people that you've mentioned above had it worse than blacks in the history of this country?

P.S. I don't know why you're not on my side on this yab. Jews have to take a lot of crap. If I had a dollar for every jewish slur I heard in HS, I'd be a rich man.

4. heyabbott

To sum up then: Blacks can use race in decision making and it's a rational, reasonable and justifiable. No one else can.
    Nobody knows de trouble I seen
    Nobody knows but Jesus
    Nobody knows de trouble I seen
    Glory Hallelujah!

Sometimes I'm up, sometimes I'm down
    Oh, yes, Lord.
    Sometimes I'm almost to the ground,
    Oh, yes, Lord.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So Chuck...is it now about who's suffered more? And Fen, I'd post that same question to you. Is this a contest to see who was mistreated the most? It's not a fucking contest.

And whether blacks have "had it worse" than anyone else, it still doesn't make the reverse-racism approach any more acceptable.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

But the thing is it's not even a contest.

P.S. You dont think the french went crazy when Tony Parker got his MVP? You dont think China went crazy when Yao got drafted 1st? Or how about when Nash won his MVP's? You dont think Canadians were feelin' good about that?

7. heyabbott

I've heard it too. To my face and behind my back, and my parents back and my grandparents back and I'm sure behind my children's back.
    So when we work are collective asses off, but are marginalized because of quotas, it makes us angry. It sounds like not only do you want affirmative action in jobs and education, racial quotas to make up for past injustices, but now, ignorant tap dancers like scoop are close to demanding the white folks root for Venus and Serena because they're black.

I understand the pride, see Sandy Koufax, but you guys are taking to irrational levels

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

"They took control of the political structure in major cities, for example, during the period when No Irish Need Apply signs hung in windows, which is why those signs didn't hang in windows..."

Exactly. Personal responsibility.

9. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I never read where anyone said that. They're just saying that it's fallacious to say that ONLY blacks have had it hard in America's history and that white people have NEVER faced oppression in this country. Because neither of those is true.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Nobody anywhere is arguing that the Irish, Jews, Italians had it worse. What some are saying is that there were points in time where things weren't all that good for them either.

However, this doesn't matter. The past, while relevant, is something we don't currently live in today. And on this subject it absolutely is racist to start rooting for a person based solely on their skin color.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

What you are describing is Nationalism, not racism.

12. IU90

IU90 Member

I know. It's just that you and I both know that the only reason Bruh starts these threads is to try to ignite a pissing match over race, and likely feels delighted when he sees it work like magic EVERY SINGLE TIME. The debate with Chuck might be a worthwhile one, but I wish it had arisen outside the context of a Bruh thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.