1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The War Over Going Gray

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This article about the debate between going gray or dying your hair from Time magazine caught my attention:
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1658058,00.html

I have a, um, friend debating this same question right now. Poor thing is still young, with dark hair, but is finding more silvery evidence each day.

So to get SportsJournalists.com's input: What do you think when you see people with gray hair, or those who should have gray but don't? Are you going gray naturally? Are you investing in Clairol/Just For Men? How do you handle the unsightly gray roots when you finally decide to stop dying?

2. Gray started showing up for me in my 30s. Didn't really worry about it. It's just a little on the sides and hasn't gotten any worse.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As I've stated before, I have dyed my hair. I did it mostly for fun, but I've started to see the grays appearing, and I'm barely 30.

I'm probably going to do it more regularly. I'm highly envious of my dad, whom barely had any gray before he was 50.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't care one bit about my hair. For all I care, it can all fall out tomorrow. Of course, that means I'll probably never go bald or even have gray hair. I know those comments are of absolutely no help whatsoever, but hey, I just got my laptop back today and I got some catching up to do. Carry on.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I am soooooo sick of that damn commercial.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Go with the natural look. When people try to do otherwise, it's usually quite obvious.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yep, be what you are. Men actually come off better rather than worse with a little gray. I'm graying and I'm fine with it.

8. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Hey, at least you've got hair. I'm 23 with the hairline of a 80-year-old.

For me, the problem isn't when to dye. It's when to succumb and adopt the Michael Jordan haircut.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My grandma's in her late 80s, she doesn't die her hair and almost the same color that it was 50 years ago, just a little lighter. It's incredible.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

[​IMG]

"Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee-fused!"

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, from the old man point of view, my hair is almost all gray/white by now and I couldn't care less.
    There also is a woman in our newsorom who is early 50s and for most of the time I've known her had reddish/brown (obviously died) hair. In the past few years, she has let it go natural gray/silver. She looks better than ever!

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Are we talking men or women? I supposed it doesn't matter.

I die my hair often, but it's just because I like changing my color often. Also, the gray I have is one shock toward the front, and I don't think that's attractive. If I was going grey all over, I'd just let it go when I was going with my normal color.

P.S. prematurely grey-haired men are hot as hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted