1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Walking Dead (Show & Comic)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Mar 13, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just to get this bad boy going.

Here's the rules..there are none. We will freely talk about spoilers, connections to the comics, anything...

OK, my thoughts on how they have veered from the comic.

I like it. It's much like True Blood and the Sookie Stackhouse books. There is going to be some stuff that you just can't touch on TV that you can in a book, or especially a graphic novel.

Case in point: I think Dale was taken out since one of the best parts of him was when he was captured by the cannibals. I don't see cable TV even allowing that angle.
    The Andrea love part with Dale never interested me (plus, if they bring in Michonne and Tyreese, we will get that anyway).

One thing I don't like (hence why I wanted to start a new thread) was them trying to explain how zombies happen in the show. Robert Kirkman has gone on the record to say that it is not important. I figure if he can go 90+ issues in a comic book without getting into it...why do they have to in the show.

Those are just a few topics to start with. Please, feel free to share your thoughts!

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I really do like this thread. There are a few things I know about in the comic that I want to avoid here.

There were hints of Andrea and Dale, but yeah, I had no need to see them go there.

I know a bit about Michonne. Not sure if they have confirmed that she will be in the show, though I'm sure she will.

They did cast The Governor for Season 3, though, which I'm made many readers of the comic happy.

The comic is why I think Lori is safe for now. If she's going to go, I think it would be like the comic and that can't happen yet.

I really wondered what would happen if they decided to really mess with the comic book readers and had Shane kill Rick. Given Kirkman's comments, I don't expect them to divert that far from the books, but maybe he's just messing with people when he talks about things following the comics.

3. spikechiquet

There is s rumor Michonne will show up as the cliffhanger to season 2...but that is just a rumor. No actress has even been cast or announced...but then again, that would be a HUGE surprise.

I'm glad they decided to cast someone to be The Governor and not just have Merle end up being him as some thought could happen.

Yeah, the Grime clan is safe...and I don't see it going down the way it did in the comic. Seems to dark for TV...but who knows how much of a leash Kirkman and crew is allowed.

It will be interesting to see how Carl changes from comic to TV since Sophia is there with him to be a kid with. That is gone now.

I have enjoyed this "version" of the tale for the most part. I don't let little things both me (which obviously drives some people that overthink the show nuts), I can just sit back, drink a beer, eat some chips and try to remember if what happens on the screen is close to the comic book.

I read every book between the time the show was announced and when it started on TV, my buddy clued me in that it was a comic and he said to read them all, so I did.

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I haven't read the comics but I plan to (hopefully). Just posting to make sure I get notified when this thread is updated.

5. outofplace

So Sophia lasted a lot longer in the comics, too?

I don't know about the Grimes family. I didn't read the book, but I've seen the one very important frame from the comic with Lori. I remember Battlestar Galactica threatened to go over that line, but backed off, and that show had its share of dark and nasty moments, too.

6. spikechiquet

Sophia is still alive in the comics...hence why comic geeks went batshit crazy when she died...it was WAYYY off the books.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was a little miffed about that when it happened because like spikechiquet pointed out, she's helped him keep a hold of some of his childlike innocence, with her at times seeming like his kinda-sorta girlfriend.

But they way they handled her death was awesome and did a TON to advance the TV storyline. They already abandoned the comic with the CDC and Shane, so I couldn't be too upset to see someone die before they did in the comic.

Dale's death kinda hammered that point home. I kinda wonder if next week will be used to help further that, too, with someone like Glenn or Andrea getting killed. I hope not, esp. Glenn, but I could see it happening.

8. outofplace

I could not care less about Andrea, but I want to see badass Glenn. Doesn't he turn into something of a badass in the comic?

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I don't think I would use the term "badass" to describe Glenn in the comic. I love his character, but I wouldn't come close to describing him that way.

10. outofplace

I haven't read it, so I'm going on bits and pieces I've picked up different places.

11. spikechiquet

A fun read, and they update it for both the TV series and the comic...good for info if you like to spoil yourself (which I do, mainly because by the time it gets there..I forgot I read it! LOL)

12. spikechiquet

Cool looking intro that was shown at Comic-Con to get people pumped up for the show before it aired. Uses the comic book drawings and the named of the cast.

http://vimeo.com/15266890

Draft saved Draft deleted