1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Voice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I'll preface this with I am not an American Idol fan at all ...

I'm watching this for the first time ... I am really, really liking this. Just feels more genuine with the premise and set-up that Havercamp referenced.

And deskslave, damn I would've been pissed if they didn't turn around for her (and I'm very glad she didn't pick Christina). And I think Blake will do wonders for Xenia.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Javier ... damn, that was good.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

After watching last night's episode, and with the blind auditioning done, I think I'm going to like this moving forward. That's the good. The bad is the show's editing. Somebody said it here before that they really, really go overboard on the drama, and it starts with the awful, awful editing.

The tight show of a judge's eyes ... the quick shot to his or her hand over the button ... the contestant taking in a deep breath. OK, we get it, it's nerve-wracking, but come up with a better way to show it.

That's really my only complaint. I know it's not live and everything is done in advance, but I enjoyed the banter between the judges. We'll see how things go once things get live.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Couldn't beat out "The Good Wife" for me.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and aired it again several times on one of the cable channels, too

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I do not need to see reaction from the freakin' family -- or, worse, Carson flippin' Daly -- while the artist is singing his song.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Funny line from the LA Times TV blog:

"After turning his Dr. Claw chair around and spying these country-singing beauties through his enormous sunglasses, Cee Lo waved his little T-Rex arms in excitement ..."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/05/the-voice-recap-the-lover-the-fighter-the-teacher-and-snooki-too.html#more

I don't know what the blind auditions proved. There were no Susan Boyle's who sang way better than they looked.
    Besides the big, hairy guy who made it and the hot Indian woman who didn't, looks probably wouldn't have played a part in any of the selections,

Still, I'm enjoying the show. One of the singers is from our area, so I'll be interested in seeing how she does.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

NBC's 'The Voice' ratings rise10%!
    by James Hibberd
    “Sure, NBC can launch a reality show,” competitors pointed out last week after The Voice debuted huge, “but then what happens? Remember The Marrige Ref, The Singing Bee, Grease: You’re the One That I Want? All premiered big, but then fell off a cliff… “

Well, last night’s second episode of The Voice not only didn’t tumble, it climbed up the mountain a little higher. The Voice was seen by 12.4 million viewers and had a 5.6 preliminary rating among adults 18-49. That’s up 10 percent from last week’s premiere, which broke NBC records. Here’s how unusual this is: The Voice is the only new show this season on a major broadcast network whose ratings rose for its second episode.

The big question now is whether The Voice will continue its winning streak when the coaches ditch the swivel chairs and start the “battle rounds” next week. http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/04/the-voice-ratings/

9. Scouter

Scouter Member

Agreed on the editing. Tries way, way too much to be dramatic. I assume that will change when the show goes live, but then the show isn't any different than 'American Idol.' Will be interesting to see how it holds up then.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Who's still watching?

I liked the blind competition episodes better than the mentoring/showdowns. More singing and less coaching, please.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Me too. I wish they'd just keep doing blind competition, though I don't know what they'd be competing for then. But whatever. Better TV.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Going back a couple episodes now, but does Casey Watson sound a little like Jewel?

Draft saved Draft deleted