1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Virginian-Pilot is seeking a sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Virginian-Pilot, Oct 9, 2007.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, this is a snippet of an e-mail I got from Landmark:

Thank you for the opportunity to review and evaluate your experience and skills as they pertain to our needs for the Sports Writer position with The Virginian-Pilot Media Companies. Although you have a very impressive background, we have selected candidates who were a closer match to our needs.

Can't be age; they don't know how old I am. Experience? About 15 years writing sports. I could have been too far away from Virginia.

I'm glad I got a response at least. Most places won't even bother to go that far.

2. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

I got the exact same response as I think a lot of other people did ...

3. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

A friend of mine who applied and sent clips got an e-mail the other day thanking her for sending clips and that they were hoping to narrow the field to seven candidates or so by the middle of November.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't think distance was a factor. At least one guy on the West Coast was asked for clips.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Happens at small papers, too. We had an opening three years ago, and ended up hiring, over the course of a year, four of the applicants. You don't win if you don't play.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Dammit, I'm good enough to work at the V-P!

Sorry... had to resurrect the old in joke. Good luck to all candidates who are in this process. Sounds like a plum job!

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

Gee, that sounds familiar. Got the same e-mail a couple weeks ago. I'm guessing I wanted too much money. ;D

8. azzurri

azzurri New Member

Word on the street is the V-P has made a hire for this position.

9. I've heard the same thing from a couple of different people.

10. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Sources tell me the gig was filled by Rayner Saban from the NWA Times in Fayetteville, Ark. Young guy about 24-25 with about 18 months in the biz.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The paper is up for sale. Kind of surprised they made a hire.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

To clarify, it's Rainer Sabin, and he's got more time than that in the business. Great opportunity for him, and he should do well.

Draft saved Draft deleted