1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Virginian-Pilot is seeking a sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Virginian-Pilot, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Virginian-Pilot

Virginian-Pilot New Member

The Virginian-Pilot, a daily newspaper of 197,000 seven-day average circulation serving Southeastern Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina, is seeking a sports writer to cover breaking news, features, explanatory and investigative articles about a variety of sports issues in Hampton Roads. This person will work as a general assignment reporter who will cover sports primarily at the high school and college level.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

-- Demonstrated knowledge of high school, college and professional sports.

-- Ability to be flexible on sports coverage. This reporter will pitch in on multiple beats and must be comfortable with any sport at any level.

-- Track record of urgency in reporting and writing.

-- Precision and clarity in writing, with ability to present complicated information in a way that engages readers.

-- Proven ability to work well in a team setting. This reporter will deal on a regular basis with a large number of people, both in-house and from the outside.

-- Ability to locate and use data to inform stories.

-- Track record of uncompromising accuracy.

-- Proven ability to meet deadline and manage time.

EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE:

-- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.

-- 5 years reporting experience at a daily newspaper, 3 years of which must be in sports.

-- Experience contributing to online media content.

The Virginian-Pilot uses an online application process. To apply for this opening, you must submit a resume or job application online at http://www.thevirginianpilot.com/careers. (Click on Opportunities, click on Search for Jobs, click on Quick Job Search, enter job code 1826.)

Only those candidates meeting our screening criteria will be contacted. No phone, fax or e-mail applications will be accepted.

The Virginian-Pilot and its subsidiary companies are Equal Opportunity employers and support a drug-free workplace.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Damn. O/U on number of resumes they receive? I'm guessing 200.

3. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

pay scale?

4. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Im going with the over on that ...

5. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

But will they look at me if I spent two years at a community college and have been a stringer for a weekly paper for two years?

6. Only if the community college offered "real" English and not the remedial type.

7. Rick Vaughn

Rick Vaughn New Member

I don't know about that man. I interned at a 100,000+ daily, string now for a 120,000+ daily and will have a bachelor's degree in December and I still wasn't going to apply. But I suppose if your stuff is good enough, it can't hurt to apply.

8. It never hurts to apply.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT newspaper. You don't see hires like this on boards too often.

And no, I don't work there. So there. :)

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Too bad this is my dream job about five years too early. If someone on here gets this job, want to give it to me in five years? ;-)

11. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

People seemed to disagree with me pretty strongly when I said this on the bakersfield thread, but I'll say it here too...

Their design scheme is pretty cutting-edge. Pretty cool, IMHO.

And everything I've seen content wise seems really strong, too.

I'm with you Ducky... if this was a few years down the road, I'd be running to the post office full speed ahead.

12. Can anybody in Va. give us the scoop on who left and what the V-P might have in mind for this job?

The role of GA reporter can vary greatly from shop to shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted