1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Virginian-Pilot is seeking a Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Virginian-Pilot, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boots

boots New Member

My money is on Doug getting the job.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wow. I tend to be blunt, but it would seem incredibly presumptuous to not only make decisions about people before you've actually worked with them for a few months but to voice those decisions before you've been offered the job. If what you write is true, it's shocking.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Be careful not to out yourself, newblood. I believe people have gotten fired for posting on this board. Great info, though. I hope the people in charge make the right decision.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Telling Jim Ducebella that he's going to preps sounds more like a "take the hint and gtfo" move than anything else. Nothing against the high school beat, but unless Duce wants to cut back on travel, that's a slap in the face.

It sounds like whoever has the most radical plan to revamp the newsroom will get the nod. Tom White, I've heard good things about, but his experience hurts him when it should help. My guess: it comes down to Roberson and McDaniel, unless this Jewell can prove that she can save their souls.

5. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I had no idea that Roberson's current staff loathes him. If that's even true.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

God knows I'm not in anyone's inner circle, but I've dealt with DP folks in the past few years and I don't recall any angst over him. But when the rubber meets the road, doesn't everyone bitch about their bosses?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is not. Meat is correct. Any boss will be the subject of some bitching.

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Exactly, but the word "loathes" threw me off.

9. I'm probably outing myself with this post, but I'm calling B.S. on the stuff about Doug. The Pilot sports section is already pretty darned good, but IMO Doug would help to take it to the next level. He cares a lot about the product and is just as good a person as he is an editor. I think the best thing about him is that he's not afraid to think big. Sure, he'll throw out wild ideas at times (he hits on them a lot of times, too). Sure he'll e-mail seemingly every five minutes to ask what you're working on. Sure, he's a huge fantasy sports dork that watches way too much soccer.

But it's no coincidence that the DP has been a very good section under his watch (one of the best in the country for its size). The guy is good at his job (it also helps that he has good people there like the three Daves, Lynn B., Sonny and the other reporters and deskers).

Having said that, Doug's also not a guy that is so set in his ways that you can't sit down with him to discuss a story or a special section. Shoot, I remember us basically scrapping one special section because we realized that it would be too tough to pull off in the time we had. If you disagree with something, Doug's down to debate it with you and if your argument is compelling enough, he'll switch gears and go your way. He's also not afraid to admit mistakes in story play, headline choice, etc. This is a guy that beats himself up about every aspect of that section (even the agate) because he cares deeply about the product. That passion - at least in my case - makes you want to work that much harder for him.

I can remember times when I turned in stories at 8 or 9 a.m., only to work on them (tinkering here and there and fulfilling Doug's crazy requests) until 9 or 10 at night. Guess what? Every time I did that, I was much happier with the final product than I was when I originally turned it in.

Loathe him? HELL NO. If you love the craft the way I do, it's impossible to not like working for this guy. If you're lazy, not ambitious and treat the profession like it's a mere job, yeah, you're probably gonna have problems working with Doug. I'd seriously consider working for that guy again in a heartbeat. Just my $.2.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Excellent post. I hate seeing people get trashed on this board.

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Doug Roberson is an unbelievably classy person. Anybody who has a problem with Doug should probably take a good long look in the mirror. A few years ago, he went unbelievably out of his way to be friendly and help a young journalist (me, obviously). A classy guy. Period.

12. boots

boots New Member

It happens too often, unfortunately. I'd like to see what Doug can do with better resources at his disposal. He's paid his dues at Newport News and it would be a great move for him. Those who have a problem with him may be jealous.
    Here's hoping things work out for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.