1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Very Model Of A Modern Democracy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 13, 2006.

1. http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061113/APP/611131799

Jesus, it's 2006. Can't we run an election better than this?
    18,000 votes just don't show up?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It was the votes of 18,000 Muslim-Americans.

Blame Hondo.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Are they going to delay the vote count for that FSU-Directional Michigan thriller?

4. Not sure, but the figure 18,000 is going to figure in that game somewhere.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fenian, why do you hate America?

6. I love America.
    I just wish it could count better.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

. . . and if you didn't get to the bottom of the story, note that it's Katherine Harris' old district. Coincidence? Perhaps.

It's also my mother-in-law's district, but I'm positive hers was not one of the Democratic votes lost, bless her heart.

8. Check it out and get back to us.
    Seriously.
    I'd love to know what the hell is going on down there.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

My mother-in-law, God bless her pot-smoking, picket-sign-toting hippie behind, copied me on an e-mail that she sent to Michael Moore. Apparently, her Florida district had some voting issues as well. I'm sure Mr. Moore will find time between bites of his Big Macs to respond.

I haven't followed all the issues closely, but I did see that the attorney general race was a key concern. It's my understanding that they put multiple races on the screen at one time and that some of the voters might have skipped the attorney general race simply because they didn't notice that it was below another race. I'm not entirely sure that someone might not make a similar mistake on a paper ballot. Either way, it's disturbing.

I just want to know this: If one man is standing on the Arkansas side of the border while his same-sex mate is on the Missouri side of the border, can they legally marry?

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Vern Buchanan, the leader going into the recount, actually picked up votes after the first recount, and Democrat Christine Jennings, whose lawyers got the ball rolling, lost a handful. Now it's on to a manual recount.

11. Have the 18K votes showed up yet?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Of course you're going to believe that 18,000 votes were somehow stolen by the Republicans, but how about letting this play out before you start implying the election was crooked. Not every person votes for every race. And as I mentioned, the first recount actually strengthened the position of the person who went into all this as the Election Night winner.

The latest is that certain groups are demanding a revote. Now that would be a wonderful precedent for democracy, wouldn't it? Don't like the outcome of the vote? No problem, get enough lawyers to void the election and start all over.

See what happens when people exercise their right to vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted