1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Vegas Report

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Just got back. If you saw my previous thread regarding buying show tickets for my wife's birthday, it went just fine. She was initially annoyed that I didn't listen to her when she said "I don't want you to buy anything", but came around within about an hour. Mama Mia at the Mandalay Bay was the show and it was terrific. I don't know if it was worth the money (170 dollars for 2) but much of Vegas has become overpriced, or at least to my middle class way of thinking. Before the show, we got drinks in the theater and a Margarita and a Screwdriver in a plastic cup cost 20 dollars which was a lot to us. The rest of the trip went well although there is not a lot to do in Las Vegas if you are a teenager. We had an 18 and 16 year old with us and they are too young to drink and gamble, too old for arcade games. They did ride the roller coaster at New York New York and liked it, but it was 12.50 a piece. The rides at the Stratosphere were 8 to 10 dollars each. Gondola rides at the Venetian were 15 dollars. It just seemed like everything was expensive. Lunch on average was 50 dollars for the four of us and dinner was about 65. We got a coupon for the American Superstars show at the Stratosphere that also got us dinner and passes to the top of the tower (it's 10 bucks otherwise) for 50 dollars each. We got to sit in the front row, which the kids loved and the show was really fun for them. We also went to Madame Tussauds wax museum at the Venetian which was 16 dollars each. We did see the pirate show at Treasure Island and the kids did like it and it was free. A warning: they do not do that show if it is windy and it doesn't take much wind for them to cancel it. It took three days before it was calm enough to do the show. Also, get there about an hour early and stake out some turf. As the showtime gets closer, the people will really start to press in. There is a VIP viewing area which is crowded, but not as much. You need a pass from the hotel. We got ours from someone else and I am not sure how they got them. The pass did make for nicer viewing.

All in all a fun trip and the softball tournament that my daughter played in (which was the reason for the trip) went very well for her. Many college coaches now know her name.

But it was hot ('bout 100 each day) and it was expensive.

My thanks to everyone who helped me in the last couple of months with reccomendations and advice.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So it's $50 for a family of four to ride a two-minute roller coaster at NYNY? :eek:

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

uh..........being that Vegas is in the desert, it may be a little hot and windy in the EFFIN SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ain't cheap no more, especially on the Strip. If you don't plan carefully, you can get severely nicked up . . .

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're never too old to play that Journey video game at the Sahara arcade. OK, I doubt they still have it, but if they did, that's about 3 hours worth of fun. I mean, c'mon, Steve Perry singing and simultaneously shooting villains with his microphone?

It's gold, Jerry.

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

PlayThrough: Yep 12.50 a ride. But you can ride again for 6 dollars, only if ride immediatley after the first ride.

Chef: Yes we were aware that it would be hot.

Songbird: I used to work in an arcade and remember the Journey game. It was awesome. Score high eneough and you would be rewrded with a Journey song. If the tape was working. Which it hardly ever was.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The first song was the chorus to "Separate Ways."

That video rocked.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

You mean they didn't get to go all Nick Papagorgio on you and bring home four different cars.....

Damn I love Vegas Vacation

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Are you feeling lucky tonight, Sparky?"

"Not right now, honey. They're teaching me baccarat."

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

"I put a quarter in, I won a car. I put a quarter in, I won a car. I put a quarter in, I won a car..."
    "I'm all out, having an entourage is expensive." (I think that's how it went.)

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

100 in June? That's a cool front in Vegas.

12. Wasn't this all supposed to, you know, STAY there?

Draft saved Draft deleted