1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Veep Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, May 11, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Which is why I asked the question. My knowledge of the real insider view of the candidates is more limited than my knowledge of their stances on real issues, since that's what's more important to me.

Thanks for adding to my knowledge, Ben.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Seeing Thune's name made me laugh out loud.

Stuffed shirt. From nowhere.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm a little surprised none of the republicans have thrown out the Huckster as a candidate. Is it just not happening?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't shoot!

She's played the "my way, or I burn the village" cards for months, thinking "me, me, ME" the whole way . . . I'm not losing any sleep about her intermediate future once she's finished hurtling back down through the stratosphere, towards Earth.

She's a tough broad, who's more than capable of taking care of herself.
    She'll find her way, back in the Senate.

I'm not in any rush to throw buckets of rose petals in her path . . . especially since it's clear (in her own mind) that she'd personally be better off if Obama loses to McCain.

She needs to tread verrrrrrry carefully.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

On that, Ben, I agree. I'm certain there's a great deal of political good will ... she had so little to begin with, it seems ... she's lost during this race.

6. Jim Webb would be a great VP candidate for Obama, although I'm not sure the DNC would want senate seat in Virginia on the market. Wes Clark is another choice that would help the ticket, plus appease the Clinton insiders.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

She might have lost some political good will but I think she's gained quite a bit of clout with a major portion of the voter base during this primary season. And that makes her involvement necessary whether they like it or not. I think Obama's lost any chance of swaying a certain portion of the voter base without the Clinton's help.

Let's be honest, Obama has had much more difficulties in states that Democrats need to carry in a national election. Now call me a pessimist, but I don't give a shit about how well he polls in Idaho and North Dakota and South Carolina because they aren't going to go his direction in a national election.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I don't want her on the ticket. Attribute it to morbid fears. I'm seriously concerned about Obama's safety, every day, and should HRC inherit the earth if BO buys the farm due to another James Earl Ray type's grab for notoriety, it'll be MacBird, all over again.

9. NO FIRST TERM SENATORS, DAMMIT!
    What's wrong with you people?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wes Clark would kill any possibility of cross over vote.

The New Yorker story that did in his presidential aspirations is sure to come up.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Having only skimmed the first 3 pages, I apologize if this has already been suggested, but how about we open the choices to include people who aren't professional politicians?

Wasn't that the premise at the founding? That we'd each set down our hammer or plow or stethoscope and serve our neighbors for 2 years or four years or six?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not a bad idea, except that the VP has to have at least nominal name recognition. Who, beyond a corporate big-wig type, would fill that role?

Draft saved Draft deleted