1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Veep Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, May 11, 2008.

1. Richardson makes a ton of sense for Obama, I think. He's got great foreign policy credentials and he could help with the Hispanic vote, where Obama has had some trouble. He is a call back to the Clinton era, which many Dems will like. He's got age and experience that could help.
    I can't see that it would cost Obama any votes, as any person bothered by Richardson's race would already be against Obama to begin with.
    Keep in mind, New Mexico went GOP in 2004, 88, 84, 80, 76, 72 and 68. I know it's not a very big state, but every little bit helps.
    Of course, it makes so much since that it obviously won't happen.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think so. Not in a "I was lukewarm on Obama, but if Joe Biden is the veep, I'm in" kind of way, but more for what it tells us about the candidate. The days of picking a veep for geographic diversity or party unity and putting him on funeral duty for four years seem to be disappearing.

Picking a veep is the first decision that a president gets to make and it does send a message. Bush reassured voters when he picked Cheney. He was telling them: "I may not be the smartest guy running, but I am going to surround myself with smart, experienced people who I trust." When Clinton picked Gore, it was seen as a curious move because Gore didn't offer geographic diversity and was roughly the same age. But it added to Clinton's claim of being a different kind of Democrat in ways that adding Jay Rockerfeller would not. Gore picked Lieberman as a way to send a message that, yes, he found Clinton's personal conduct repugnant.

I think Kerry messed up when he picked Edwards -- he should have chosen Gephardt or Bob Graham. It would have reinforced a message of "Lets let the grownups run the country now." Picking Edwards smacked of political expedience rather than choosing someone Kerry could govern with.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll be shocked if Richardson isn't SOS.

SHOCKED.

Country's not ready for a half-black/hispanic ticket, yet. Not. Ready.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When Cheney essentially appointed himself to that part of the ticket, I was scared to death.

In this specific area, nothing has happened since to prove my initial reaction wrong.

5. I'd be happy with him as SOS, but I disagree on your last point. I think anyone willing to vote for a black man would be willing to vote for a black/hispanic ticket. I can't imagine the logic of voting for Obama based on his having a white VP but not if he had a hispanic VP.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm more cynical than you are . . . and apparently, more concerned about the unspoken potential undertow in play with the dreaded "Bradley effect".

Richardson is dead-solid obvious as SOS under Obama. It's a match made in heaven.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I wouldn't be shocked if Richardson isn't part of Obama's cabinet. Obama could make Biden or Holbrooke as SOS or someone who isn't part of the foreign policy establishment as a way of showing that he is a different kind of president. Richardson has a few skeletons in his closet, as a man who likes the ladies, that Obama might think would come up during confirmation hearings....

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Richardson's no virgin, but don't think that'll DQ him from SOS. Will wait and see.

9. In Exile

In Exile Member

Father of Sibelius? Former governor John J. Gilligan of Ohio, so she provides some nominal help there, not that too many remember Gilligan (he was elected after Jim Rhodes of Kent State fame) but she presumably knows Ohio.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Hillary might be putting herself in a position to where Obama is really needing her involvement in a general election. Somehow she's positioned him as a elitist candidate who doesn't appeal to a large percentage of voters that are white, blue collar and without college educations. People that have proven that they will just as soon skip election day if the candidates don't appeal to them.

Not sure if this makes her the VP, but when this thing ends they will have to be joined at the hip. And him helping her re-pay the loans would help that process.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

She's got the money. Cough up the cake, lady.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bill Bradley would be an ideal choice for Obama.He would be a team player with no real agenda of his own. Having read a few of his books he has great vision of where the country should be.

Draft saved Draft deleted