1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Urbanator strikes again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 25, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No one is allowed to wear blue shirts close to the shade of Michigan blue ... even NFL scouts.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9597074/ohio-state-buckeyes-made-nfl-scouts-swap-shirts-according-report

If you sell recruits on the fact that your program can get them to the NFL, do you really want to publicly embarrass grown men who might be able to help one of your kids in the future with this bullshit? There are a lot of shirts in this world that are dark blue and wearing one doesn't mean you have any connections with the University of Michigan.

Just when you think Meyer can't be a bigger prick, he never fails to come through and top himself.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "You gotta be kidding me."

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A coach I covered wouldn't allow a certain colored shirt at practice. Of course he would give no warning about it until someone showed up wearing the offending color.

It happened to me. He tried to show me up at practice by bringing out team merchandise for me to wear. So I showed him up by refusing to do it.

It's a shirt guys. It ain't going to affect your game against Michigan or fill-in-the-blank. Chill the fuck out and grow up.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Every scout worth his stopwatch ought to show up at the next practice wearing dark blue. What's he going to do, throw them all out?

"Sorry guys, I know you're trying to impress the scouts. But dangit, they were wearing the wrong-colored shirt!"

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know, if I'm a college coach I WANT my players to know a guy from the NY Giants or the Texans is watching them.
    This isn't soccer. Scouts shouldn't have to carry an alternate jersey in case a coach is being a twit.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bill McCartney in the 1990s refused to talk to media members who used red pens. He banned just about anything red in the Colorado athletic department.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A lot of schools do something similar to this, but it's done with a wink and a nod and is more of a playful way to get people excited about a game or a rival. I remember covering a SEC press conference and one of the writers was wearing a Denver Broncos shirt and the coach said, "Did you ever in a million years think I would want to see those colors during my press conference?" It was light and funny.

It's hard to imagine Meyer doing anything in a playful or joking way.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

McCartney might have had a damn good reason for that.
    I remember an Outside the Lines episode from the late 1990s (back when it was an occasional special, rather than the weekly show) about gangs in sports. One segment talked about the rise of Colorado's football program under McCartney. A big reason behind his success was recruiting Southern California, and Los Angeles in particular.
    Colorado's coaches targeted the inner city schools and got a lot of players who either came from neighborhoods in Crip territory, or were actual members of the Crips. Nebraska was also recruiting them, but they wouldn't go to Nebraska because they'd have to wear red -- Bloods colors, which might cause serious, serious problems back home. So Colorado was able to win a lot of those recruiting battles.
    Banning red might have been McCartney being a dick (I know he's got a less than stellar rep with the media, and I have not had firsthand dealings with him), or it might have been a blanket policy to appease his players -- no red, anywhere, for any reason. Just don't let it in at all, and disguise it as an anti-Nebraska thing.

9. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Any NFL scout whose teams colors are predominately blue and, ergo, wear blue shirts, should have said, "OK, coach. We just won't recruit your kids. Later."

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So McCartney's pitch was "you can't wear red, but you can fuck my daughter!"

11. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Lighten up, Francesis...

Buckeyes fans loved Jim Tressel because, on the day he was hired, he showed up at an Ohio State basketball game and spoke to the crowd at halftime. He closed by mentioning exactly how many days it was until the Michigan game. He was beloved from that day forward.

This is what college coaches do. You really think if you showed up at the Jack Nicklaus Center on Tuesday in a blue polo shirt he would ask you to leave? Really?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't put anything past Urb the Turd.

Draft saved Draft deleted