1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Unit ... sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jay_christley, Nov 2, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I'll never watch again.

The Unit is one of the season-passes that both me and the missus watch.
    For those who don't know, it's a show about an ultra-secret army unit that takes care of the bad guys, yada, yada, yada. Some of the show's focus is also on the army's wives. Decent show, some hurrah, stuff blown up. Stars, among other, Serrano from Major Leagues.
    All good, until the last five seconds of the most recent episode.
    Recap: While the boys are away, the wives try to raise funds for an "Old Home Week" in which they buy phone cards for the soldiers abroad. They come across an old army jeep, they plan to refurbish and auction off, find some old love letters from a WWII guy to his wife (from Jimmy to Midge) at home that he never got to mail before dying.
    They track down one of the old army buddies of James Hanson, which leads to James' widow Margaret, who is still alive. They bring them to the gathering, read the lever to the woman.
    Real tearjerking end to the show.
    And then the old guy says, "I'm Midge."
    Confused faces all around.
    He says again, "I'm Midge."
    Roll credits.

HUH?!?!?
    That's BS.
    That's the kind of bait-and-switch, comedic gotcha crap I'd expect from Friends or some stupid sitcom.
    Why even throw in that last plot-twist?

Now, I'll admit, growing up with a Navy father, I get more emotional with old reunion stories and such -- no matter how contrived the scenario.
    But why have this show about a kickass army unit, the difficulties of army wives, yada, spend the whole show setting up a storyline about a wife finally getting a love letter from her husband who died fighting the Battle of the Bulge, and "SURPRISE!" the guy was secretly in love with his army buddy?
    [Now, before we make this about a "gay" thing ... I'd feel the same way if the bait-and-switch involved the wife and her sister, or best friend, or an old nurse, or whatever.]

It was such a stupid, jarring way to end what was until then a pretty good show.

Never again.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Was John Kerry involved in any way?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Jay, I called that shot early in the episode, when they found the photo of him with the other medic.

I don't watch that show on a regular basis, because I get tired of the plotlines involving the wives. If it was a straight up action show, I'd watch every week.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

poin --

Your old lady is looking mighty fetching in that screen shot. :D

How much money did she win?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

$50.

She had a coronary after the first question.

6. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Funny thing is I might have too ... but I generally fast-forward thru all the "wives" stuff. Stopped it a couple times this episode because it was an interesting sub-plot. But missed where it was leading.
    Still, it was a dumb bait-and-switch.

Draft saved Draft deleted