1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The ugly truth (E&P circulation story)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Well, that's cheery reading.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

and seeing's how we read it on-line, for free, no real shock

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

eeeeeee

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I asked someone the other day: If I gave you FREE tickets to a basketball game at my new place, would you pay?
    They were shocked. Of course not!
    Then why should I pay for your paper?

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Doesn't E&P know that newspapers count things like "readers" and "clicks" -- not circulation -- these days?

6. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

What if the print editions were free? I'm not sure whether or not that would make much of a difference. I'm just askin'

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

I wondered that myself. Would it actually increase readership? Which, in turn would help sale ads, right?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

You mean E&P just discovered that newspaper circulation has been going in the dumper the past four to five years? I
    'm shocked.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Someone has explained here before, not sure who, that advertisers value paid circulation way more than free distribution. Which kind of explains, in part, the gap between print ad revenues and Web site ad revenues for most newspaper operations.

Maybe it's something advertisers are going to have to get over.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you give the paper away for free it cannot count toward circulation numbers...

What does it say that the two papers in the best shape are USA Today and the NY Post?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Short stories sell?

Draft saved Draft deleted