1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The UCLA Dynasty" on HBO

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'll admit I am not sure what thread is best suited for this, but has anyone seen the HBO documentary about the glory days of UCLA basketball? It's not perfect, but there were some enjoyable moments and video I'd never seen.

It airs again at the top of the hour on some HBO channels.

(Oh, and if this has been discussed before, let me know. I was busy the last few days, as some of you might know. ;) )

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Good show - some fun, rare footage.
    As for the preesence of mid-60s UCLA film student Ray Manzarek among the commentators, he's living proof that a doobie a day keeps Alzheimer's away.

3. Apparently, Kareem wouldn't cooperate, and that's why the Alcindor Years are shuffled off fairly quickly. Who knew Sidney Wicks was so funny? Walton's classic, too, although the Sam Gilbert factor is inexcusably soft-pedaled. (A "contractor"? Well, among other things.)

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dave Cowens thought Sidney Wicks was about as funny as a crutch.

5. Which is why this came as such a shock.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Did they address the rumors of John Wooden and Marilyn Monroe ?

7. Marilyn took them to her grave, although I heard that Lynn Shackleford was seen at her apartment shortly after RFK left.
    Shhh...

8. boots

boots New Member

Did anyone notice the photo of Lew and Wooden? Lew's eyes are cut as if to say, "I'm going to fuck you up camera man" while Wooden's eyes say, "I don't know what the fuck is going on."
    Great shot.
    And will someone shut Bill Walton the fuck up. I liked him better when he stuttered. He poured on the bullshit, especially talking about how mystical it was to play basketball. Shit I though I was high after hearing him.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, there's a free preview of HBO this weekend on Dish Network and it's going to be Friday night. I don't know if cable or DirecTV also will have the free preview.

Draft saved Draft deleted