1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The U in trouble -- again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 16, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Pretty good reason the NCAA was in Coral Gables on Monday.

Pretty incredible stuff in here from Charles Robinson.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yahoo does it -- again.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Holy shit:

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, this is pretty damn detailed and full of some wild shit.

If true -- and it's implicating coaches in football and basketball -- wow.

Death penalty?

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'm sure it was all just an innocent misunderstanding.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yahoo is the best sports site and at this point I don't even really think it's close. Their stable of writers and reporters consistently does the best work and they clearly put a premium on big investigations, which is awesome to see.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The sheer amount of time spent in reporting this story -- hundreds, no, thousands of hours -- is staggering. Wish more outlets could make this kind of commitment to investigative journalism.

8. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

I'm sure all Gannett outlets already do. Such a leader in all things journalistic.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wonder how ESPN, which gushes over all things U (at least in football) will report this.

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Makes getting free tattoos seem a little less serious.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Normally I would say no. The NCAA is not going to use the Death Penalty again because it worked TOO well when it was used on SMU.

However, given the current climate, I'm starting to think that the NCAA may decide to make an example of somebody and Miami would fit the bill.

It's a big enough name to send shock waves thru the college football world but it's a small private school, not a major state institution with thousands of alumni. It is also not the national power it once was in football (and never has been in hoops).

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Excellent work by Yahoo!, as usual, despite none of the details in the story being the least bit shocking or stunning.

Draft saved Draft deleted