1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The U-bomb

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Please list those on the left who are racist.

There must be some.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

YF likes him quite a bit, which I have always found disappointing.

3. Dick Whitman

So if "Mooch-elle" means "mooch," how is she a "mooch"?

She graduated from Princeton and Harvard Law.

She was already working a six-figure job (by today's standards) when they met - at that six-figure job. She left it for a $300,000-plus job at a hospital. He went into politics, writing, and teaching part-time.

Wouldn't he be the mooch?

4. printdust

printdust New Member

She's a public figure. No holds barred.

Nancy Reagan was ripped as bad.

5. YankeeFan

It doesn't mean I agree with everything he says.

His show is entertaining. His analysis is good. I like it when he tweaks liberals and the press.

Sometimes he goes over the line. He does 15 hours of live radio per week, nearly all of it monologue.

I don't believe he's a racist. I mean, it's a hard thing to prove first of all. I could tell you that his long time -- over 20 years -- call screener/producer is African-American. I could tell you that Clarence Thomas is one of his good friends (and I think officiated at one of Rush's various weddings).

But, I can't tell you what's in his heart. And, I know the "I have black friends" defense rings hollow.

I still say people should listen to the show and make up your own minds. (It's starting right now.)

I made this challenge months ago. And I did listen to NPR. I know find myself listening to NPR more and more. A lot of it's programming is very good.

So, listen to Rush. If you do, and then decide, in your opinion, that he is racist, fine.

But, to argue with people who don't listen to the show is very frustrating.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Chunnel or GTFO

7. Dick Whitman

You have been one of the fiercest objectors here to the notion that Joe Paterno's overall good works overshadow his one misstep.

8. Dick Whitman

What station is it on here?

9. Dick Whitman

Special dispensation for racism when it is leveled at a public figure then?

10. YankeeFan

Ugh. I have to go get some work done, but...

I want to say it goes back to the trip to Spain. I heard part of the show yesterday, and he was going off on them taking separate planes -- 4 hours apart -- to go on one of their vacations, and her, "I've never been proud of my country" line from the campaign.

It's political fodder. She is fair game. And, she won't be going on another vacation like her Spain trip during a campaign year.

And, please. Let's not try to justify her Hospital job. That was political patronage. She got a huge promotion when his political career took off. And, when she left, they didn't fill her position.

It was a job created specifically for her.

I guess I just can't believe we're arguing about political commentary and the fairness of it all.

It's rough and tumble. People say mean things -- on purpose. Positions get distorted and exaggerated for political gain.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nancy was ripped as bad as a thinly-veiled racist slam? How so?

12. YankeeFan

I respected Joe Paterno. And he held himself up as a paragon of virtue.

I like Rush's radio show. That doesn't mean I think he's an exemplary person. And, I'm not sure he's ever described himself that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.