1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The two teams playing in the BCS National Championship will be …

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If Oregon wins the Pac-12 title game (meaning UCLA and Oregon win this week), I think the Ducks could be a solid enough No. 2 in the human polls that they would leapfrog Florida, which will have the computer advantage as it has all season.

If Oregon does not win the Pac-12 title game, Florida probably wil make the BCS game in the scenario you describe.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why is everyone just assuming Florida will beat Florida State? Florida State isn't Georgia Tech or Wake Forest.

They lost one game -- on the road -- by one point on a fourth-down pass. One play from being undefeated. And they've pretty much hammered everyone else except Virginia Tech, where they won on a late fourth-quarter TD. It ain't they're fault the bottom half of the ACC is sub-par. They're a good team. The game is in Tallahassee. FSU by about 20 (30-20).

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not assuming, but an FSU win isn't close to a lock, either.

I was only throwing (very good) possibilities out there.

The last thing I want is Florida v. Georgia. I want Oregon in the title game even less.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sorry, no rematches. Been there, done that, it sucked. Not going down that road again.

Highly unlikely as that scenario you described might be, I'd take Georgia vs. Oregon.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I always knew Mark was living on a slightly different plane from the rest of us, but I never realized he was resident in a world where 30-20 is a margin of 20.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm sorry. Type. I meant to say 10 (30-20 or maybe 27-17). Stupid keyboard.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Another rematch would suck...

Florida vs. Alabama would suck too...

If another SEC team wins it, I hope it's Georgia. At least that would be a new team.

I'm not a Bama fan on any level, but I was disappointed when Bama lost because I figured they would make the title game anyways and I'd rather see two undefeated teams play, rather than watch Bama demolish Notre Dame.

It would be kind of fun to see how hyped Bama-Notre Dame would be.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When Notre Dame goes down, it will go down hard. They've been living a charmed life and dodging bullets all season, which is a big part of the magic of the story. Far more interesting to follow a team like that (Saturday's game vs. WF excepting) than a team blowing out everyone.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think we're giving the zombie corpses of USC a bit too much credit, especially if Barkley isn't available. The Trojans have underachieved all season, and against much worse defenses than Notre Dame has.

Yeah, I know anything can happen ... but I'd be shocked if Notre Dame loses to USC.

10. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I am not at all certain Bama beats Georgia. Tide's defense not as strong as its hype. Would not be surprised to see Dogs vs. Irish.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think Notre Dame is going to challenge anybody as the best college football team of all time, but I also don't think it's fair to paint them as a team that's been living on borrowed time and/or winning with smoke and mirrors.

They have a grown-ass man defense and an inconsistent offense. Result: Some weeks where you beat Oklahoma 30-17, Wake Forest 38-0, and Miami 41-3, and other weeks where you survive Pitt or BYU. The Purdue game they were five days removed from a trip to Ireland. Should have never been scheduled.

Could Notre Dame go down hard? Sure. Again: Freshman quarterback. Plus, there's a lot of parity in college football right now.

Is it inevitable? No. They could win this. About six teams could, and Notre Dame is absolutely one of them. I know it's tough to get one's head around, knowing their recent history, but they aren't 11-0 by accident. They just aren't.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Florida isn't beating Florida State. Gators haven't been worth anything since October 21. The offense is terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted