1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Twitter 100

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Roving_Gambler, Jul 17, 2011.

1. SI.com with a list of the best sports tweets to follow ... no surprise there's a heavy ESPN flavor, including this one: ESPN Stats Info (Stats and factoids from ESPN) and Jayson Stark.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/more/07/12/twitter100/index.html?xid=si_topstories

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Except when we tell him he can't tweet...

3. daman

daman New Member

I didn't see Buster Olney on that list.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't know that nine handles with ESPN ties is particularly "heavy" when you consider ESPN's huge influence on sports. Also, I really don't know why that would earn a "no surprise," considering the list is from one of ESPN's bigger competitors (if that's not an oxymoron).

By my counts, there were four from Yahoo!, two from Fox, two from CBS and one from NBC (really CNBC, in that it was Darren Rovell).

Newspapers went highly unrepresented: two from the New York Times, one each from the Times of London and the Washington Post. That was it.

The biggest omission, to me, was @SportsPickle.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think I read that SI writers weren't going to be on the list.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe they wanted the list to have a shelf life to 2020 or thereabouts, when those might be the only newspapers left standing to Tweet.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

why doesn't someone tweet an aggregation of the Twitter 100 - many of whom are simply aggregating news in their field.

so that we don't have to follow all 100.

and when there are too many aggregators, someone can tweet an aggregation of the aggregators.

get it? why make an effort to read news as it 'instantly' breaks?

it will track you down.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Not Dan Shaughnessy: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/07/20/an_item_for_your_datebook/?page=2

[quote author=Dan Shaughnessy] Pardon me if I sound like Larry King, but what’s up with this Twitter madness? It strikes me as trendy, immature, and entirely unnecessary. What you had for lunch is of no interest to me. Increasingly, tweeting seems to be getting athletes in trouble.

Remember Rashard Mendenhall on Osama Bin Laden? The Raiders and Steelers on Hines Ward? All those players ripping Jay Cutler after the loss to the Packers? It’s just too easy to rip off an inane message of 140 characters and hit the “send’’ button

I’m with Jon Stewart, hoping the whole thing is a fad. Granted, I thought the same thing about cellphones for a long time - resisting the device while secretly hoping it was a trend that would fade. Alas, the cellphone is here to stay and I caved when the boss made me take one five years ago.

Now Daddy Globe is threatening to make me tweet - at gunpoint. Why? The press box is already full of media folk tweeting instead of watching the game. Tweeting can’t be too hard; someone at the Globe sends this column out on Twitter so I have 306 tweets and more than 8,000 followers even though I have no idea how the thing works. Hope I never have to say my account was hacked. [/quote]

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

[/quote]

You know, I see the "I don't care what you had for lunch" line thrown out now and then regarding Twitter, and my chief thought is "Retire, you lazy fucking dinosaur."

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

When I hear "I don't care what you're watching on TV," I just want to give them a dial telephone and walk away.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting list. I had to unfollow Jay Glazer. His stream of inane MMA posts made my hair hurt.

Kelly Dwyer - I forgot about that guy.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had forgotten about the era of the crazed anti-Dwyer posts until I saw that.

Draft saved Draft deleted