1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Baby Reindeer. Oy. If Quiet On The Set brought back the first ten or so years of my work in mental health care, Baby Reindeer is an extension of my current work days.

Jessica Gunning is amazing as Martha. The series was hard to watch because she nails how awful erotomania is for the person suffering from it and the people who are caught in their obsessive loops. My two issues with it right now are 1.) Her victim is a jerk and would have still been a jerk if he'd never met her. He tries to couch his own actions as research when he has simply trauma bonded with her. 2.) Real-life victims are sufficiently fascinated by this show to want to poke the bear, so to speak, ending up with people who have been pulling themselves together now dealing with texts, calls, letters, etc. from individuals they were ordered by the courts to avoid. Shoring up people who have been told for years that the attachments they built up were all in their heads and then getting messages that point in the opposite direction is not karma. It's just cruel.

Thanks for the warning.
    I'll watch it because Kitty and Red made the show, IMHO.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Debra Jo Rupp carried That 90s Show on her back - I think she deserved an Emmy nod for that show, but it's not the kind of show that normally gets them. I'm glad its coming back, even if it hadn't quite found its groove like the original did just yet.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

4. OscarMadison

Oh, Missy... (BTDT)

lorre vanity card.jpg

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Young Sheldon ended up being a hell of a lot better than it ever had any right to be

jr/shotglass and OscarMadison like this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was a late arrival, only watched the last few seasons as Sheldon got older and became the least interesting character on the show.

The penultimate funeral episode was fantastic and the cast was outstanding. It was the kind of episode that won Emmys in pre streaming days.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
  7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

My daughter, 10, exclaimed “why do I feel so sad I know its just actors he’s not really dead”

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

You kind of already know where he's going to end up, so everyone else ends up more interesting by default. It helps that they did have interesting or good actors for most of those roles, though. And pretty much all Lorre shows are at least decent, even if they start with weird premises.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. OscarMadison

If I had to compare Young Sheldon to anything as a way to describe it to someone who has never seen it, it would be Raising Arizona. There is a degree of decency in every character. No one is carrying the burden of being that person everyone hates to watch. As Lorre has mentioned, George as he was written on TBBT was an alcoholic philanderer. The George we got to know on Young Sheldon was a good dad. Not only that, there was the continued evidence that he liked being a dad. He wanted to be there. There was no edge or resentment. There was just George being Dad. I think that resonates with a lot of us.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

To be honest, I'll give the spinoff of the spinoff a try come fall -- "Georgie & Mandy's First Marriage." I like both the main characters and Will Sasso.

I was determined not to get into "Young Sheldon" early in the series. But I began watching it in the last three seasons. Pleasant show. And the assistant coach and principal at the door two weeks ago hit me, too.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Have three bigger lumps ever made it to the final in Survivor? Kenzie was the best.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Kenzie or Charlie would have been worthy winners in what was an overall terrible season with a terrible cast. No one knew how to play the game.

justgladtobehere likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted