1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really surprised their aren't many private detective shows on TV. Seemed there were a ton in the '70s when we thought people mistrusted authority and cops after Watergate, Vietnam etc. THEN. Rockford, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Charlie's Angels, Vegas, Mannix...I would have thought the 9/11 honeymoon would have been over by now.
    Though I will say, one of the things I enjoy most about Bosch was a lot of the storylines on the "underbelly" of police administration. It makes me sad that Shawn Ryan who created The Shield is now doing SWAT.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Perry Mason, but
    only for the first season because the show follows him to becoming a lawyer. I'm sure there will still be the detective noir in later seasons that carried much of the first.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Is Magnum the only PI on network TV?

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, have you seen the polarization of this country? :p It doesn't surprise me at all that, especially on CBS and NBC, there are about a dozen cop / military industrial complex shows that are the only things that grab a rating.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Same.

Remember being interested when it came out. Then forgot about it. Stumbling around on my firestick the other night and it caught my attention. Glad to see it had four seasons, so if I like it I'll have something to dig through. First episode was good enough to watch some more.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Frank Lupo created or co-created a ton of shows with Stephen J. Cannell including A-Team, Hunter, Walker, and yes, Wiseguy.

He died a few weeks ago but it hasn't been publicized anywhere online that I can find so this is news. His sister shared it with me.

ajs Screenshot 049.jpg

Tighthead likes this.
  7. Songbird

Groucho, Cavett, and Capote on Ring Lardner.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Do us all a favor and find some Lonnie Lardner tapes.

9. Songbird

10. Songbird

RIP, Wilco.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Think about who watches network TV after 8 pm...

Bosch will be a PI next season.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He will still have a PI.

Draft saved Draft deleted