1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Sam Huff ... Ray Nitschke ... they played like murderers out on parole!"

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Started "L.A.'s Finest."
    Does it matter whether or not Jessica Alba can act?
    Sometimes Gabrielle Union is a little too much to take.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Gave Batwoman two episodes and I have officially abandoned it. I like the premise that they brought the new Bat lwoman in with, but I was watching the second episode, and I'm over Beth / Alice. It's played out. And as I'm watching these characters, I'm like, there's no star power. None of these characters are stars. It's a cast of supporting actors. So I'm out.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Couple of good HBO Max watches past few weeks. Warrior, based on a Bruce Lee story, about a Chinese immigrant who arrives in 1800s San Fran and proceeds to kick ass after being forced into a Chinatown gang. Just fun kick-ass action but definitely good stories too with the immigration storylines, the Irish, politics, etc. Unfortunately Cinemax stopped making original programming so it's only two seasons.

And just finished the Heaven's Gate documentary. Didn't know much about them beyond the mass suicides. It's fascinating, disturbing and of course heartbreaking. The descriptions of the castrations will...stay with me a while. But thought the whole four-part doc was well done.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

on HBO/Cinemax on Demand.
    C.B. Strike. British private eye show from the BBC. Based on Novels written by JK Rowling. Quality TV.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Kate Kane done right is a compelling character. They failed to bring that to the screen last season, so I saw no reason to think they could do any better with the new character in the suit.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

They've done worse. I like to Ruby Rose's Kate Kane. I enjoyed watching her; I thought she was compelling. Though it was not a great show. Now it's not even a good one

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't think he has had a lead role like this before. If he has, I didn't see it. I enjoyed the first episode. I like how the twist at the end of the episode fits perfectly with his behavior leading up to that point even though it is such a contrast with his interactions with the other characters and much of his internal monologue.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. Wanted to see the show - I read the books and they were great. If you're looking for them, they're under JKR's pseudonym Robert Galbraith.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Someone created a Roku app with most of the old Adventures in Paradise episodes.
    If you are unfamiliar:
    It ran from 1959-62. It was the brainchild of James A. Michener. It's set in the South Pacific.
    The show is a precursor to the Travis McGee books, Magnum PI, etc.
    Probably not for everyone, but really good if you like that kind of thing and nostalgia.
    The funniest thing is the Chesterfield cigarette commercials.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Anyone watching "The Night Stalker" on Netflix? I started it because you know 80's LA, but man this is chilling. Glad I was in NorCal and not SoCal then.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Gomorrah on HBO Max.

Great mafia series.

Draft saved Draft deleted