1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As long as there's soma.

sgreenwell and Mngwa like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He's great. Really liked Broadchurch. Probably my favorite Tennant is his turn as Kilgrave in "Jessica Jones". His line readings were fabulous, and that's such an unhinged great villain.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. He was fantastic as Kilgrave and so far, he is the best part of Broadchurch.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

OMG, Tricia Helfer. Showed up at the beginning of Season 2. Hotness-plus. I hadn’t heard of her. Quick IMDB said she is on SWAT. Must be Tan’s fiancée.

5. outofplace

She also played two different characters who inhabited the same body at different times, which kind of fit in with some of her previous acting experience.

Helfer was primarily a model with only a few acting roles before making a name for herself as one of the human-looking Cylons on Battlestar Galactica. For those who don't know the show, there were 12 models and there were countless units for each of the first seven. (There was only one of each of the final five.) That meant Helfer got to play multiple versions of the character, all starting off similar, but changing based on their experience. Each model was referred to as a number. In what must have been SJ.com-related destiny, Helfer's model was No. 6.

ChrisLong likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

helfer.jpeg

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

Rewatching The Boys on Prime and am viewing it much differently in a BLM/post-George Floyd world. Didn't realize how strong the cast was.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

To the second power.

That’s a pure smoke show.

10. DanOregon

Don't forget Katee Sackhoff and Grace Park. On a related Syfy front - always liked Salli Richardson Whitfield from Eureka.

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I finally finished The Americans. What an amazing piece of TV, up there with Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men and The Sopranos.

12. outofplace

I'm re-watching "Daybreak" today, with all its badass moments and weirdness. The casting of that show was always an amazing mix, and even though I didn't like some of the choices at the end, it was well-written. Park is beautiful, but I also thought she did a good job playing the similarities and differences between Athena and Boomer. There were so many actors I hadn't seen before who were great on that show, like Michael Hogan, James Callis and Jamie Bamber. I had forgotten some of the little things, like President Roslyn nearly bringing Doctor Cottle to tears when she said goobye to him. Edward James Olmos has always been great, but I was struck again by the moments he played Adama as completely broken, only to find his way back again. Dean Stockwell was also a hell of a villain.

There were two casting choices that always struck me as odd. One was bringing in Richard Hatch, who played Apollo on the original series in 1979, as notorious revolutionary. He actually made it work, but seeing him in that role threw me at first. So did Nana Visitor as a dying cancer patient in the final season. I kept wanting her to go full Kira Nerys and shoot a few Cylons. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted