1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Re: Ozark

I loved the first season, slogged through the second season, and loved the third season. After the final scene of the final episode of Season 3, I'm looking forward to how it plays out.

I watched the first four seasons of Peaky Blinders but just couldn't get into the fifth season. Don't reckon I'll go back.

Altered Carbon seemed like there was a good to great series in there trying to break out, but it never did. Strange, but not in a really good way.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah. No reason to burn up her husband's car. And burying Marsden 1 in Angeles National Forest on the recommendation of the 10-year-old weirdo neighbor girl was dumb. It's pretty obvious Applegate is going to wind up with Marsden 2. But I have 4 episodes left, so I don't know for sure.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I rewatched the first two seasons of Fargo. I don’t know that I’ve enjoyed any show as much. I may not do season 3 as I didn’t take to it as much on the first go round.

The sixth and final episode of the new Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix is as grim as anything I’ve ever seen on Dateline/48 Hours/Fifth Estate

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Haven't gotten to ep 6 yet but I'm mixed on the reboot. I love the old show (even though it straight up terrified me as a little kid. The music. Robert Stack's voice. The idea that a murderer could literally be outside the door at any given moment.) but the reboot feels very Investigation Discovery without the narrator, one mystery spread out over an hour (instead of 4-5 segments), no cheesy re-enactments with shirtless Matthew McConaghey... But if they get leads and get just one of these families some closure, I'm here for it.

garrow likes this.
  5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

The old show was great. “Look at it burn Omar!” spooked the bejeezus out of me. I still say it when I light charcoal.

I think if you tried to do it now, I’m the same style, it would just be camp.

I only watched 2 and 6. 2 gives us a hall of fame nutbar like the old show seemed to dig up.

6. ChrisLong

Well, I messed up whose car was burned. Makes more sense now. The boy is pretty ballsy, but hard to image him taking a strange car. I'll probably finish the series tomorrow.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I know @Songbird pumps this show a lot, but Horace and Pete is now on Hulu. I had always wanted to watch it but didn't feel like paying for whatever service it was on. Watched the first episode last night, and it's really, really interesting television. Feels more like a play than a TV show. People will have their opinions about Louis CK and that's fine, but jeez, the early part of the first episode where they're arguing about Trump and what defines a conservative and a liberal ... feels very relevant today.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I guess you could call it a cinematic teleplay with each episode written in the days leading up to the taping which explains the current events such as Trump and Cam Newton etc etc. The things Jessica Lange's character said about Cam were off the fucking charts. The show is best binged in a few days in a dark room with zero interruptions. And then when you're done ... binge all 10 episodes again. It's that good, that intense, that beautifully written and acted and directed and blocked and all that good stuff. CK claims the show is about a 100-year-old dive bar in Brooklyn but Horace & Pete's is first and foremost an examination of the human brain and mental illness in the era of Trump.

"Louie" and "Horace and Pete's" are the 2 best "TV shows" (for lack of a better term) ever created.

I paid to download all 10 episode of H&P if you want to watch:

Episode 1: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x01_1080.mp4
    Episode 2: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x02_1080.mp4
    Episode 3: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x03_1080.mp4
    Episode 4: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x04_1080.mp4
    Episode 5: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x05_1080.mp4
    Episode 6: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x06_1080.mp4
    Episode 7: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x07_1080 (1).mp4
    Episode 8: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x08_HD.mp4
    Episode 9: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x09_1080.mp4
    Episode 10: HORACE_AND_PETE_01x10_1080.mp4

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks man. It's definitely going to be my new binge. Easily hooked after one episode.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm assuming there will be a third season based on how they left things. I agree with sgreenwell. The chemistry and comic timing of the leads makes up for an awful lot of ridiculousness.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

They need a few months off to replenish their tear ducts.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching the first (and final) season of the Dana Carvey Show. Yes, it was ahead of its time and "holds up." One of those shows its hard to believe was on broadcast.

ADD: I think if it aired today it would have been yanked for its misogyny, cultural appropriation, among other things.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted