1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I cleaned out my DVR:

finished Ken Burn's Baseball mini-series; and

finished "Basketball; A Love Story" (ESPN).

Talk about feeling like a couch potato. Good stuff but reliving Gm. 6 of 1986 WS (Bob Freakin Stanley wild pitch!!) was hard (notwithstanding 04, 07, 11 & 18 championships). Okay, saw some of 2004 comeback against Yankees and that was pretty cool.

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I have the DVD set of Burns' Baseball. Time to dust that off...

qtlaw likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching The Loudest Voice on the free Showtime week - man Roger Ailes was a sick twist.

There really isn't anyone to "root for" in the film - so seven eps is asking a lot. Everyone is debasing themselves for cash, power or whatever, willing do, abet or put up with heinous acts to keep their place.

It made me realize that Ailes greatest gift was being able to identify people's insecurities, whether it is his audiences, his staffers or whomever and using that to his own ends.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Ken Burns' Baseball doc (as well as the Jazz doc) are streaming on Amazon Prime.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had the same experience. I knew there was some big reveal, but I hadn’t heard what it was.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Marty Byrd brushes his teeth a lot.

Crazy how delicate a balance that show is. One kid does something it changes the dominoes everywhere.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Have started watching "Bodyguard," with the Shelby sister from "Peaky Blinders" as the Home Secretary. It's good. My uphill neighbor, from Manchester, suggested "The English Game," so I guess that's next.

lakefront likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If you’re a Red Sox fan, I think you mean 2013. Cardinals won in 2011.

qtlaw likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Catching up with Ray Donovan - season 6 is a slog. Never understood why they kept Mickey and Bunchy around unless they figure people find their Three Stooges antics hilarious. And now everyone is in New York? About as believable as when Laverne and Shirley all moved out to Hollywood.

And season 7 isn't much better. If anything signals a show is ready to sign off, it's when the show's lead suddenly starts talking to a therapist (Sopranos excluded). Think of the final season of Family Ties, the final episode of MASH when Hawkeye goes nuts, Ellen talking to Oprah...oddly enough Ray's therapist in Ray Donovan is....Alan Alda.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How can you not love Jimmy McNulty? lol

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I’m enjoying the final season of Brockmire. They couldn’t have predicted what’s going on in real life, but it hits the mark.

I’ve always loved this show. And Amanda Peet is back as a regular.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Starting Money Heist

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted