1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I got an offer from Verizon for unlimited data with Disney+ for a year and Apple Music for six months for $15/month. The streaming comes close to paying for the first 6 months (I cannot get a price for Apple, the website is broken for me). The unlimited data and music streaming is great for driving. I don't travel so streaming Disney+ on a phone isn't a big deal, but I would could make a point of ripping through some disney stuff for a year.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another plug for the Ukraine show "Servant of the People" on Netflix. Started watching it because the guy who plays the teacher turned President is now in the middle of impeachment stuff since he was actually elected President of the Ukraine - but the show is very funny and very biting (sample joke - "Don't shake Merkel's hand too hard, she might cut our economic aid.") and Getting into Unbelievable - nice to see Merritt Wever in a role she doesn't need to play down her looks. And the cast and performances are tremendous up and down.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wait until the updated Tale of Two Cities.

"It was a great fxxxing time, it was an awful fxxxing time."

I started watching "West Wing" again, from the start. What a great show.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Finished Season 3 of The Crown. It is certainly well acted and beautifully shot, but the plot lines are just repetitive — the monarchy vs. modernity and sacrificing your individuality for the good of the country.

Also started Season 3 of Mrs. Maisel (which is another square of privilege bingo). So far, even by Palladino standards, is too fey by half. Also, I’m not sure what is up with the extended musical sequences — it’s like they were given too much budget to play with. That being said, the writing is super smart, she is a gorgeous and magnetic presence and Shaloub is a treasure.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just started again a few weeks ago. I'm on Season 3 now. "Ain't nothin' but a family thing." John Spencer was so damn good.

Netflix is losing the series some time in 2020. I have the DVD box set, but I wanted to watch it online once more before it goes to HBO's new streaming service.

6. micropolitan guy

Thanks for the heads up. Just watched the Korean War vet burial one referenced earlier on this thread; the juxtaposition of the kids choir singing in the WH with the funeral at Arlington was brilliant. And Martin Sheen is wonderful.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

8. outofplace

He is. I'm noticing a lot more of the little moments with him and Spencer this time around. The Sorkin years really captured the friendship between the two of them. I was struck by Bartlet's guilt when he first spoke with Leo about the MS and why he hadn't told him about it. "I wanted to be president." I just saw the episode that ended with him giving the framed napkin to Leo. Spencer's performance that entire episode was amazing, from trying to explain his alcoholism and his love for Bartlet to Jordan all at once to his emotional reaction to his friend's gift at the end.

9. micropolitan guy

Yes, when he learns of the MS Spencer calls the president "Jed," and Bartlett goes, "That's the first time you've called me Jed since I became president."

Matheson is also very, very good as John Hoynes. Makes you forget his Animal House role.

10. outofplace

Most of the cast is excellent, including the smaller roles. That was true even of the later seasons, when the writing dropped off significantly. I'm thinking of stopping, or at least just skipping around, after "25," Sorkin's final episode and one of my favorites.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The actor who played "Harold" in The State Dinner (ep. 7) - the radio guy - that scene always kills me.

"Hold On"

And RIP Harold - Two Cathedrals revealed the Hickory was lost at sea.

12. micropolitan guy

Lord John Marbury was a classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted