1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. TNT?
    You mean the Lord of the Rings channel?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The League -- which I was a big fan of -- was train-wreck bad last season.

I always thought it would be cool to do a show where you remake/reimagine great episodes from great shows of the past (or present). It would be like Twilight Zone in that it wouldn't have a set cast, but would have guest stars every week.

I'll bet that would be appealing to viewers and actors too.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hey, someone asked why. Now back to your show ...

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I still make time for:
    Once Upon a Time
    Family Guy
    American Dad!

Bunheads
    Castle

New Girl

Nashville

Grey's Anatomy
    Scandal

Sherlock
    Breaking Bad

Battlestar Galactica reruns on BBC America
    Lost Reruns on G4

Enjoyed Last resort and Don't trust the B---- in Apt. 23

Sports on TV have lost much of their luster for me, aside from big events.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

They just started filming the third series this week, to air later this year on BBC and probably six months or so later on PBS.

*cough* I mean, I'll third that.

Most of my recommended series on Netflix are BBC shows. Every time I seem to like a show on American TV, it gets axed less than two seasons in.

Been watching the reboot of Dallas. I'm really liking that... I wish the old series was on Netflix.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You must try Peep Show. That's in Seinfeld territory as far as I'm concerned.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"I only watch British TV" has apparently become the 2010s version of "I don't watch TV."

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not even close. At least not in my world.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've watched That Mitchell and Webb Look, and really enjoyed it. I plan to do Peep Show at some point since I love both those guys. I also watch more British panel shows than I should, with my favorite being QI, and Mitchell is great on those as well.

And Steak, my outlook on it is that both sides of the pond have a lot of great stuff to offer. People are missing out if they're only watching shows from one place or the other.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Some of the things I like about British imports. Generally you get the whole series at once, you don't have to worry about cancelation, the actors are less familiar allowing you to buy into the characters more, the scenery is less familar and the short-runs lead to tighter and more integrated story arcs.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great show.

Sherlock remembering the rabbit 45 minutes after its first vague reference is one of my favorite moments.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Seconded. Plus, now with things like Netflix and showing BBC shows on PBS (they may have been doing this for years and I've just never noticed), those shows are just so much more accessible than they were even 5 years ago to those on this side of the pond.

Draft saved Draft deleted