1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just finishing up the first season of Succession. It hits a lot of good notes for HBO, the nastiness of Veep, the intrigue and family warfare of Thrones - though I don't think it is close to either in quality. Really good timing coming at the end of those other two shows runs. Great theme though.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The second season takes it up a notch. You'll love it.

3. DanOregon

I'm sure I will - it does kind of bend credulity seeing how well Logan recovered from his health issues. But I do prefer seeing Brian Cox in all his menacing glory. If you haven't seen him in Manhunter when he played Lecter, you're missing out.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've started watching this at JR's suggestion. There is not one single person to root for in that show. They are all vile people.

5. DanOregon

Oh - absolutely. I think that's the charm. I was struck by how uncomfortable everyone on the show seems at all times - they all know they are unworthy of their status and wealth. The other thing about the show - I gather they chose to place the show in a universe where a Dr. Dre exists, but nobody else in current culture. No Kennedy references, no allusions to other scandals or real figures - I guess it helps them when they poach from the "reality" universe (as they do rather liberally).

HC likes this.
  6. LetterKenny Season 7 was great.

7. DanOregon

Getting into the final season of Mr. Robot. I'm usually pretty good at following narrative. I'm kind of convinced that's impossible with this show, but I do respect how well this show makes me feel like I have social anxiety disorder, clinical depression and paranoid delusions - which seems completely rational given the plot of the show.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Halfway through the AHS: 1984 season now and I honestly have no idea where this is going. But I can't wait. Once your virginal final girl gets fucked by a decapitated ghost and stabs someone to death in front of a school bus full of kids, it's safe to say all bets are off.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Shit. I haven't seen this week's episode yet. That sounds awesome!

10. DanOregon

Kurt Sutter Fired From FX for Being an "Abrasive Dick" (Exclusive)

I don't know what this means. He said he was bailing out of Mayans at the end of this season in any event. He's still got a production deal. I really enjoy Mayans - it's probably better than SoA. Given his propensity to deliver episodes far beyond 45 minutes, I imagine a streamer will be in his future. Too bad - really an end of an era for FX considering Sutter got his start on The Shield, which really helped define the network.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dang. Sorry for the spoiler. There's plenty of other craziness I didn't reveal, though.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Game of Clones

Draft saved Draft deleted