1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’ve started Daredevil

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Darlene's daughter is totally miscast. I think I said it earlier in this thread that there's just no way Darlene and David had that kid. Just no.

I'm amused that we've totally forgotten that Aunt Jackie has a kid, too. In the reboot, the fourth Connor child was given a passing mention as off serving his country, but nothing's been said of the Caddyshack offspring. I can't even remember his name, but he'd be Harris' age or so.

Darlene's character has always been broody, but she's now really just a bitch. Sarcastic backbiting doesn't make for a good mom. Roseanne Barr did it, but her character wasn't as dark.

I wish they'd do more than make Becky's character a cartoon of a drunken slut. It'd be interesting to see if Brian Fishman can hold his own; D.J.'s comment about it all being about his sisters was pretty dead-on. He was cast as a little Herman Munster look-alike and hasn't had the chance to establish himself as an actor; who knows if he can do it.

I feel like Sara Gilbert is controlling it a la Alan Alda in M*A*S*H, and that's not good. Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman are the reasons to watch and really have been this whole time.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This post is dead on. Jackie's kid was Andy, the youngest Conner kid Jerry. I, too, wish they'd change the way Becky is being played. She wasn't perfect in the original series, but the way she is now doesn't seem to really fit with even that, at all -- just too stupid, slutty and without depth -- which she wasn't always, before, despite her faults.

And I wish Sara Gilbert would gain a little weight -- even 10 pounds or so. She was never fat, but she looks almost unhealthy to me now. I saw something recently that has David coming back, and I know he had some spots in the "Roseanne" reincarnation, but I really don't think he and Darlene should be divorced. Their relationship was real, good and interesting and his character and his relationships with Darlene, as well as with the rest of the family, always provided lot of programming fodder for the original series. Especially with the end of "The Big Bang Theory," I'm surprised "Roseanne" and "The Conners" execs apparently didn't try harder to bring him completely back into the fold.

Like KJIM, I also would like to see more for/from Michael Fishman. Near the end of the original series, he was getting a little older, and I'd thought he was starting to be developed a little more, and that it had gone well. I'd have liked to see that continued in "The Conners". His is a character that they could go almost anywhere with, just because it wasn't totally developed yet, so it seems a good possible opportunity.

I guess we'll have to see what happens.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

How dare you

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Someone should test Chidi from The Good Place for PEDs.

Spartan Squad and sgreenwell like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprisingly jacked!
    Nothing to do with TGP, and I get that most actors are in decent shape, but when you see physiques that are not/were not possible given the diet and lack of exercise equipment pre-1970s its like seeing someone wearing sunglasses in the Old West, having a perfectly groomed beard in medieval times or perfect teeth in Victorian England (or present day England).

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

D.J. Connor's character has been such a minor one that the actor's name didn't register to me. Michael not Brian.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

It still cracks me up how they explained Andy's sudden change in physique on Parks & Rec when he bulked up for Guardians of the Galaxy.

garrow likes this.
  9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Finished the sixth season of Elementary and eagerly awaiting unexpected seventh season. I love Cumberbatch and Freeman and the BBC version as much as anyone, but really think Elementary is just better, though it gets about half the attention. Miller and Liu are sensational and being able to do 20-plus episodes instead of three long ones like on BBC lets us know the characters so much more. The NYC setting is cool and different too.

HC likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Anyone watching The Deuce on HBO?

It's compelling. Not great. Similar to Treme as far as Simon shows go. Anyway, random thought from this week. There's a scene at a bar in Vermont where Vince ends up helping out the bartender on a busy night. This show is really good about attention to detail when it comes to how things are portrayed in the 70s. But in that bar scene, they left up a tap handle from Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, an IPA that most certainly didn't exist in the 1970s. Just found it interesting, that's all.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm going to finish "The West Wing" tonight. It has been terrific. Toby is awesome. Josh is an ass.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Daredevil season 3...

Vincent is amazing. Just amazing.

I have seen two fight scenes, one is a prison and one is a newsroom, that are as good as fight scenes get.

The newsroom fight is so great that I am actually thinking about the next day. Two different fighting styles... Purposely dark so you recognize who it is by how they are fighting...

It was great.

Draft saved Draft deleted