1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ive been binging a ton on Amazon during a free trial. After Man in High Castle and Bosch, Mozart in the Jungle is a welcome break. Hopeful that Man in High Castle will be a lot better next year. The guy who oversees Bosch is taking it over and he did a great job of weaving various threads (combining three different novels into a season long arc) and making it all come together with a satisfying conclusion. "Man" has had a great premise, but I got the sense the writers didn't know exactly where they were headed or what they wanted the show to be about.

Mozart in the Jungle is especially interesting knowing the writer of the book its based on was a staff writer at the SF Examiner and the CoCo Times while moonlighting as an oboist with the SF Symphony. Oh and she was married to Bill Nye the Science Guy, which was officiated by Rick Warren and had Yo Yo Ma play at the reception. The marriage license was declared invalid seven weeks later and Nye filed a restraining order against her and won a judgement of $57k. Hell, there is her next book.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Bosch on TV is so much better than the novels. The show portrays Bosch in a more interesting way than Connelly's attempt at hard bitten detective with a heart of gold. The storylines also benefit from some editing down.

3. I swore off Longmire at the end of Season 5.
    Started Season 6 and quickly remembered why. JFC, who is writing this crap?
    It kills me the show stared off so well. The first two seasons were real quality.

Rant over ...

heyabbott likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The girlfriend and I worked through the 10 episodes of Big Mouth on Netflix really quick. It's a profane animated show staring Nick Kroll and John Mulaney mostly, with heavy lifting by Maya Rudolph, Jenny Slate and a bunch of other people too. Really filthy and humorous, but with a good amount of heart too. Plus, a killer Kristen Bell appearance in one episode.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Problem with Apu on Tru TV is an interesting look about how Apu from The Simpsons has affected the lives of Indians and other Southeast Asians in the U.S.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm watching The Big Bang Theory. Someone really ought to do a story on the person in charge of the laugh track button.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We watched the first 3 episodes of Sherlock over the weekend. What a great show.

Wenders and sgreenwell like this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We're two episodes in with The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and I can't wait for the next one. We're going to go through this pretty quickly.

Fabulous period piece, great story, superb acting. And I'd suggest if you give it a try, don't have any background. Take it on its own with no foreshadowing.

Webster likes this.
  9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Just watched the first two episodes of "Dark", a German series that has just been added to Netflix. Missing kids, mysterious goings on ..... got me hooked. (And for those that don't like subtitles you can choose English dialogue).

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We loved the pilot. It's up next for us after we finish Sherlock.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering how the Burnett Anniversary show was obviously taped "here and there" rather than in one continuous taping - it was disappointing Tim Conway wasn't part of it. "Under the weather" officially, but figured they could have cut him into the show at some point if it was just a brief thing.

Not as good as those infomercials hawking DVDs of the old shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted