1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Truth, Devil.

My DVR list right now contains...
    Shameless
    House of Lies
    Girls
    The Walking Dead
    Justified
    The Americans
    Parks and Recreation
    The Office
    Big Bang Theory
    It's Always Sunny
    The League
    Louie
    Game of Thrones
    Mad Men
    Breaking Bad
    Californication

I realize I never watch movies any more because I watch so much damn TV on DVR.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Of the ones I've seen:

1. Twin Peaks: It's one of the most unique shows ever, and it's occasionally completely mesmerizing, especially the first half of the run.
    2. The Americans: I still am wary about sustainability, but it's been the best thing on TV so far this year.
    3. Battlestar Galactica: The first two seasons were outstanding, the third season was very good and the fourth season had huge holes.
    4. House of Cards: It's not bad, but the writing really should be better for a show with a strong premise and cast.

I have a tendency to wait until a show is done airing to go back and catch up with it. I'll do that with Justified and Breaking Bad, the two shows currently airing that I most want to watch .

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm trying to slowly withdraw from watching television altogether. It's a multi-year process. I've whittled down to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Parks & Rec, Louie and Archer.

And then once MM and BB end on AMC, I'm planning on ditching dramas from my life.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You don't have interest in catching up with Breaking Bad before the final eight episodes air this summer?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is there a place to stream the first half of this season?

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm glad "Justified" and "Breaking Bad" are in your future plans. They're both shows I wasn't that interested in watching but got hooked on pretty quick. As to your original 3 choices, they're all good but I highly recommend "Deadwood". Yes, it's a Western but don't go in expecting something traditional. It has a seriously Shakespearean flavour to it IMO and is eminently rewatchable. Great writing, great performances - highly recommended.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Luther. Both seasons.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

What's your reasoning for doing so?

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Strongly seconded.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I second the plug for Sherlock. Both seasons (series) are streaming on Netflix. Three 90-minute episodes each season.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I still haven't seen one episode of Breaking Bad, and I consider it my greatest character flaw.

Is it on Netflix? I have a one-month free trial waiting, maybe I'll just knock it out that way.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It is, all five seasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted