1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The truth about Matthew Shepard???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

“Even as friends of Matthew Shepard held a candlelight vigil in his honor, gay rights groups rushed to condemn the killing, portraying Shepard as a casualty of a new cultural war against gays and lesbians, a war declared this summer by a coalition of religious-right groups, including the Christian Coalition, which funded advertisements in major newspapers and commercials on TV promoting a campaign to convert homosexuals to heterosexuality.... The ads were controversial for portraying gays and lesbians as sinners who had made poor choices, despite the growing belief that homosexuality may be genetic.... Have the ads fostered a climate of anti-gay hate that leads to incidents like the killing of Matthew Shepard? Gay rights activists say the ads convey a message that gay people are defective.”

— NBC reporter David Gregory, later in the October 13, 1998 Today.

2. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

There are plenty of examples of homosexuals being abused because of their lifestyle...just wanted to point out that Matthew Shepard was not one of them, despite being elevated into some kind of martyr for "the cause."

3. Is John Filo still a liar for staging a Pulitzer Prize-winning photo? We need you to dispell The Narrative.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

What is the point of this thread?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As far as gimmicks go, Pastor's blue type runs rings around YF's italics, which don't make gay bashing any less pernicious.

Anyhoo, dubj, I think this is a case of someone who hates the legal concept of "hate crime" and is trying to impugn a murder victim, citing shitty reportage. It's just like the criticisms of Thayer Evans are really a manifestation of the call to storm the NCAA bastille.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Actually, what really happened was the government faked Shepard's murder to gin up support for hate crimes laws. He's still alive and residing on the same top secret base where the 9/11 and Sandy Hook shooting victims live.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I haven't, and wouldn't, gay bash.

Provide evidence I have, or withdraw the charge.

Is this directed at me?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There is really only one reason to disparage Matthew Shepard, or Trayvon Martin.

That reason would be to attempt to illustrate that the results of those crimes (hate-crime laws in Shepard's case, Lord knows what in Martin's) were reached by nefarious means or, at the very least, false premises.

The reason one would do that, I feel safe in assuming, is because one disagrees with those results and doesn't feel they are necessary. Therefore, there is NO other reason for the smearing of Shepard other than as a tool to repeal hate-crime laws.

Disagree if you will. You'd be wrong if you did.

9. Smallpotatoes

I agree. I feel the same way about people who feel the need to attack the parents of Sandy Hook victims.
    Except I think those people are even lower.
    And God help anyone here who starts with the "There's no proof anyone was actually killed at Sandy Hook" shit.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

^ People really say that? Holy shit.

11. Smallpotatoes

Sadly, yes.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am thrilled that most have moved away from the idea that Abner Doubleday invented baseball and
    that the first baseball game was played in Cooperstown. It was a good narrative at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.