1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Travel Thread - 2022 edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sgreenwell, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agree on their menu as a whole. However, their banana cream pie is otherworldly. A few times we've eaten elsewhere, then gone to Emeril's to order just that for dessert.

three_bags_full likes this.
  2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

In the New Orleans area, check out Pascal's Manale for dinner. It is sort of a Cajun-Italian fusion and there are some outstanding items on the menu. Barbecue Shrimp, Frutti di Mare and Crabmeat and Scallops are all excellent!

For a great - - and expensive - - breakfast, try Brennan's. You cannot go wrong with their Eggs Sardoux or their Onion Quiche.

Huggy likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I think it was Commander's Palace we went to on our honeymoon. Ex-wife had to wear a dress, and I had to wear a jacket and tie. Martinis were 25 cents each. The service was exceptional with everyone greeting us as we walked upstairs.

Swamp tour, either on a big-ass party barge (kiss the little gator) or an airboat.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

You can also go to Cochon Butcher, next door to Cochon. It's a more casual spot but also my version of meat heaven. Covering the Sugar Bowl 4-5 years ago, I ate lunch there four days in a row.

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think I told the nightmare story of spending close to three hours in line at customs at Dulles last March. A friend told me about Mobile Passport Control, which I really didn't know about last year, and clearly it's still foreign to a lot of people. Breezed through the line in 10 minutes yesterday while the masses stood in that ridiculous regular line. I don't travel abroad enough to justify the Global Entry cost, but seriously, download the MPC app if you're an American returning home. Super simple if you're really not declaring much more than nominal purchases, and it's a lifesaver in terms of time.

Huggy likes this.
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have used it the three times I have been to the US since it was introduced in Canada. Unreal time saver, not sure I have waited more than five minutes.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since I have a child living in France (she has her French citizenship interview Friday), we travel to Europe on a close to annual basis. So Global Entry is one of our best investments.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Global Entry is totally worth it. Through customs in Atlanta within a couple of minutes every time.

9. jackfinarelli

Agree 100%. Worth every penny ...

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

If you're thinking of getting it, check for appointments NOW. Note that if all the appointments are gone until the Eighth of November, keep checking on Sunday nights. Sometimes they post newly created appointments then.

I mean, we were looking to book an appointment at the U.S.-Mexico border until we stumbled upon new openings near LAX. Still, we had to go from O.C. to LAX, which was better than San Ysidro or Otay Mesa.

Incidentally, the appointment took less than 5 minutes following a 2-minute wait after check-in.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for things to do in the general area of Fallingwater or between Fallingwater and New Wilmington, PA? Opie and I will be driving to New Wilmington for a scent work trial in June. Depending on what I decide to do with him the week before, I may just go up a day or so early to see Fallingwater or I may have four days to kill after a dog show in Morgantown, WV. Seems like a lot of time to kill in PA, though. So looking for suggestions, especially things where a dog will be welcome since I am assuming the temps will be too high to leave the Dope in my car while I do stuff. Other option is to base myself somewhere for a few nights so I have a hotel room where he can be left.

Leaving next Tuesday for Yellowstone and Grand Teton, without dogs. Staying in the parks the whole time and generally have a plan but if there’s something I absolutely should not miss or absolutely should not waste time on, let me know.

TigerVols likes this.
  12. jackfinarelli

Personally, I think Fallingwater is a C-Level attraction at the very best. Take that for what it is worth ...

In Yellowstone, see if you can spend some time with good binoculars in the Lamar Valley at road pull-offs along the way. That is where you might see the wolf packs that have been reintroduced into the park and at this time of the year, you stand a good chance to see some pups.

Draft saved Draft deleted