1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Travel Thread - 2022 edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sgreenwell, Mar 27, 2022.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I was stunned by how nice everyone was in Las Vegas. Nobody had an attitude when you asked a question and there were a ton of reasons to ask someone a question with all the detours and other bullshit. If I looked like I was confused, a person would ask me what I needed. Even the cops were nice. I was walking to my seats and a cop was slightly in the way of the crowd on the sidewalk and he kept apologizing while he stepped back.

It was universal even though a lot of the people were just hired for the event. Residents were upset about the whole thing, but never took it out on the visitors.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Eh, don't feel like starting a new thread ... but for my UK folks here, I'll have a totally free day during my upcoming March trip and I wanted to check out some place other than London for that day. Don't mind jumping on a train for a couple of hours each way. I've been to Brighton, so looking for something different. I've narrowed the choices to York and Manchester, both of which are around two hours from Euston Station. York looks super cool from the historical standpoint. I know Manchester is huge in British musical lore. Any suggestions?

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for bumping Cosmo.

The missus and I are thinking of a trip to New Orleans in April. We've never been there but will take any recommendations on things to do, restaurants and joints to hit for live music and cheap beers. We won't be part of the passed out on Bourbon Street crowd. That's way in the rear view for me.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Huggy likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As for your England trip, a buddy of mine lives in Bath and it looks incredible. We've yet to get there but we're hoping to this summer. He says York is worth a trip too.

Cosmo likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bath fits into that two-hour train ride criteria as well. Definitely have some options.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

UK suggestion ...

Rent a car in the AM - - assuming you are willing to drive on the wrong side of the road - - and drive to Winchester to see the cathedral there, then on to Stonehenge then to Salisbury to see the cathedral there and then return to London to ditch the car and go have dinner.

Just a thought...

misterbc, FileNotFound and Cosmo like this.
  8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

**cracks knuckles ***

To do:

National WWII Museum is absolutely phenomenal and not to be missed.

Highly recommend seeing a show (they're short -- 45 minutes) at Preservation Hall. We use it as a break to take a few minutes off our feet from walking all day.

New Orleans School of Cooking is fun. That particular one is a demonstration, but a meal is included. There are hands-on classes, too.

We did Mardi Gras World the last time we went. It's in an old warehouse by the port -- not too terribly far from Mulate's, but I wouldn't walk it. It's where they make and keep many (there are several warehouses) of the mardis gras floats. Decent little tour.

You *have* to walk through Bourbon Street at least once. We always do it late in the afternoon or as soon as the sun goes down before it gets wild.

Lafitte's Blacksmith Bar is a pretty cool experience. Open in the same spot since the 1720s. If it's cool, they'll have a fire, and it's a good experience.

Frenchman Street is where the real live music is. It's the local end of town and much better than Bourbon Street. It's not too far from Lafitte's.

A walk down St. Charles Street -- popping in and out of bars on the way -- is a great way to kill an afternoon. Walk a mile or so, then hop the trolley and get out to Tulane. Our favorite -- The Blind Pelican -- did not survive covid.

Go to Cafe Du Monde late in the afternoon, get a bag and a cup of coffee and go sit in Jackson Square. If it's on a Saturday afternoon, you'll likely see weddings and parades. We saw one right before we moved where the groom, groomsmen, and officiant were all dressed as Elvis. It was fun to watch.

There's a ghost tour place -- don't roll your eyes yet -- at the corner of Decatur and St. Peter. We took one to kill a couple hours before dinner once and really enjoyed it. It wasn't silly ghost stories. It was more about weird things that happened in buildings and the popular theories behind them. Lafitte's is on the stop, and it both started and ended by the church. https://www.neworleansghostadventurestour.com/

Lots of live music/bars in the Warehouse District. We enjoyed The Howling Wolf. I've stumbled in and out of there several times. They fired up the grill for me at 2 a.m. once just to cook a hamburger. Good place and good people.

To eat:

Charley's Steakhouse in the Garden District is our favorite. It's been in an old house in the Garden District since the 30s. There's no menu. Tell them what kind of steak you want and how you want it cooked. The have one appetizer -- onion strings -- a blue cheese wedge salad, some scalloped potatoes, and one green side, but I can't remember what it is. It's not cheap, but it won't break the bank. When they bring the steak, make sure you hold up your napkin to protect your clothes.

Mulate's down by the convention center is a great Cajun place

There are any number of satisfactory oyster houses in the French Quarter. Acme Oyster House is our favorite. Chargrilled are the tits.

If you want high-end and hard to get into, Commander's Palace is the fancy spot. When we can get a table, it's fun to celebrity watch. Probably six months out on reservations. Sunday brunch is the hardest reservation to get.

Skip Emeril's. They suck.

In the Warehouse District:
    Fancy: Cochon
    Dive: Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

@Huggy , print this out and follow it step-by-step. When my kid was at Tulane, we did pretty much all of this. @three_bags_full hit this square.

Huggy likes this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Absolutely, this is incredible stuff! Thanks @three_bags_full!

three_bags_full likes this.
  11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No problem. I enjoy doing that.

The Quarter will smell like a mix of pot, piss, and puke. But, hey. It’s New Orleans.

Huggy likes this.
  12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect anything less.

Draft saved Draft deleted