1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Top 40 "Re-Poll" ... June 9, 1984 (VOTES TABULATED)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Jun 4, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Re: The Top 40 "Re-Poll" ... June 9, 1984 (VOTING IS OPEN)

If you dislike the video that much blame the director - Brian DePalma. Also thank god that the finished product wasn't as bad as the rehearsal videos that have circulated are.
    The song itself is good if you listen to the lyrics.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You've got plenty of time.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Have never heard the whole soundtrack, but LOVE the title track. Just a really good, kind of sinister-sounding tune.

That is AWESOME. I always wondered what happened to her.

Was the good guy in that video the same one from "Sharp-Dressed Man?" If so, he's dead...I looked him up a few weeks ago b/c he's also Kevin Bacon's dance double in "Footloose" (see, this all ties together) and he died in the late '80s.

"Legs" is on the short list of best videos ever. Not so much for the storyline or the song, but just for how perfect it was for the times. Three guys who looked like hillbillies parlayed videos with hot chicks into superstardom.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

1. Sister Christian - Night Ranger (seriously terrific, timeless stuff.)
    2. Against All Odds - Phil Collins (a near perfect pop ballad. as a solo artist, it's collins finest hour.)
    3. Borderline - Madonna (might be in her Top 3. an infectious hook combined with her sugary sweet voice makes for an undeniably catchy hit at the beginning stages of her career.)
    4. Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen (not even a huge boss fan, but always loved this one for some reason.)
    5. Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper (lauper's best single and a great one at that. super pop.)
    6. For the Longest Time - Billy Joel (corny but kinda...brilliant?)
    7. Rock You Like a Hurricane - The Scorpions (loud yet polished first-class mainstream heavy metal)
    8. Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins (not a fan of the '80s musically, but the thompson twins somehow wonderfully use the decade's rather repetitive mainstream sound to create a classic.)
    9. Legs - ZZ Top (not one of their best, but still...it's zz top.)
    10. When Doves Cry - Prince (like "legs", i don't think it's one of his best. it's still well above-average though, but i agree with the poster who said it went on for too long. i think it could have been much better than it was.)
    11. Self Control - Laura Branigan (oddly enough, may be the most relevent on the list worldwide...still very successfully remixed by DJs on a regular basis and appeared in bestselling grand theft auto: vice city video game. nice one.)
    12. The Heart of Rock & Roll - Huey Lewis & The News (not great by any means, but definitely passable.)
    13. Hello - Lionel Richie (it's so cheesy and creepy, it's excellent. it shouldn't work and it does on some strange level.)
    14. Magic - The Cars (one of the few acts of this time period who has admittedly grown on me.)

Worst Song: To All The Girls I've Loved Before - Julio Iglesias & Willie Nelson (almost embarrassing to listen to.)

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

1. Legs, ZZ Top
    2. She Don't Know Me, Bon Jovi
    3. Run Runaway, Slade
    4. I Can Dream About You, Dan Hartman
    5. Footloose, Kenny Loggins
    6. Dancing In the Dark, The Boss
    7. Whisper to a Scream, Icicle Works
    8. I'll Wait, Van Halen
    9. Head Over Heels, Go-Gos
    10. White Horse, Laid Back
    11. Reflex, Duran Duran
    12. Magic, Cars
    13. No More Words, Berlin
    14. Dancing in the Sheets, Shalamar
    15. My Ever Changing Mood, Style Council
    16. Dance Hall Days, Wang Chung
    17. Breakin', Ollie & Jerry
    18. When Doves Cry, Prince
    19. Infatuation, Rod Stewart
    20. Stay the Night, Chicago

Worst: Sister Christian, Night Ranger, Uh, To All the Girls I've Loved Before

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And as much as it pains me to give credit to a fucking Brewers fan, this idea is seven kinds of AWESOME!

And 1984 is No. 1 on the Armchair_QB list of all-time favorite summers. The fact we're doing a 1984 ranking right out of the gate is even more AWESOME!

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

First off: Bubbler, great idea, and cool intro. We're about the same age, and I remember keeping a journal of our summer driving trip that year, from the Chicago area to the Smokey Mountains. I probably tossed it in the trash out of embarrassment soon after, but I'd love to see it now.

Oh, and they play the AT40 relapse shows in my area, too -- although it's mostly the ones from the 1970s. Still, great stuff -- those shows play the songs that aren't among the 50 or so cuts repeated endlessly on the "SuperHits" oldies format stations.

Anyhoo, here's my picks (with a few comments). As a 12-year-old, I was just starting to buy music, so I had several of these on vinyl or cassette:

1. White Horse, Laid Back -- I remember shouting along to this during a van ride to a baseball game, irritating the hell out of someone's poor dad. Haven't heard this in years.
    2. Run Runaway, Slade -- RRRRRock!
    3. When Doves Cry, Prince -- one of the coolest videos ever, with the split screens, etc.
    4. No Way Out, Jefferson Starship -- I know they were heading down the Mickey Thomas road to fail by this point, but I'll stick up for the "Nuclear Furniture" album.
    5. The Heart Of Rock & Roll, Huey Lewis & The News
    6. Sister Christian, Night Ranger -- Yes, BYH, I remember walking into a Rose Records store and buying "Midnight Madness" on LP. I wore that record out!
    7. Rock You Like A Hurricane, Scorpions -- Monsters of Rock tour was only a few years away!
    8. Footloose, Kenny Loggins
    9. Magic, Cars
    10. Legs, ZZ Top -- cool car, girls in lingerie ... what more could a 37-year-old 12-year-old want in a music video?
    11. Dancing In The Dark, Bruce Springsteen
    12. I Can Dream About You, Dan Hartman
    13. Dance Hall Days, Wang Chung
    14. Whisper To A Scream (Birds Fly), Icicle Works -- another great one I haven't heard in a long, long time.
    15. Head Over Heels, Go-Go's
    16. Self Control, Laura Branigan
    17. Sunglasses At Night, Corey Hart
    18. Eyes Without A Face, Billy Idol
    19. Oh Sherrie, Steve Perry
    20. I'll Wait, Van Halen -- obviously, not even close to some of the other great ones on 1984.

And the worst song:
    Infatuation, Rod Stewart -- Oh No! Not again! This song's so bad, I don't understand ... how it could get on the charts.

Finally: I believe the Rush album "Grace Under Pressure" came out in 1984, Bubbler. Where's "Distant Early Warning" on your chart?? :D

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wait, the singer for Icicle Works later formed The Lightning Seeds?

Freeking sweet. God bless Wikipedia and Youtube.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, but there is a connection. Ian McNabb was the singer Icicle Works, Ian Broudie was the producer for Icicle Works before forming the Lightning Seeds.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Oh, c'mon ... you think Rush will be well-represented? :D ;D

Anyway, "Between The Wheels," radio play or no, was much, much better.

PCLL, kudos on the Joe Jackson selection. Truly a well-done and well-executed track.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Speechless.

As the rules state, the song must be in the top 100. Distant Early Warning wasn't in the top 100 that week.

Believe me, with my Rush-hating rep, I'd have included them if they were.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know, Bubs. "Distant Early Warning" wasn't bad, but no way it makes my Top 20 of Rush tracks.

Draft saved Draft deleted