1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Tony Awards - nominations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 5, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tony nominations announced today. My running Tonys thread usually gets 2-3 replies so I figured this might, too.

Billy Elliot with 15 nominations. Have not seen that yet. The Queen saw it and enjoyed it. We saw Hair in Central Park last summer and had a blast. Haven't seen the transfer to the theater. Yet.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/128922.html

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Saw "Billy Elliott" in London and thought it was among the worst evenings I've ever endured at the theater.
    If that's the best they're doing this season, I don't feel so bad about having been away from NYC since last May.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nice to see that a lack of original ideas doesn't afflict only Hollywood:

Billy Elliot, The Musical
    9 to 5: The Musical
    Shrek The Musical

And is it just me, or do plays routinely have more producers than the Duggars have kids?

Rock of Ages
    Producers: Matthew Weaver, Carl Levin, Jeff Davis, Barry Habib, Scott Prisand, Relativity Media, Corner Store Fund, Janet Billig Rich, Hillary Weaver, Toni Habib, Paula Davis, Simon and Stefany Bergson/Jennifer Maloney, Charles Rolecek, Susanne Brook, Israel Wolfson, Sara Katz/Jayson Raitt, Max Gottlieb/John Butler, David Kaufman/Jay Franks, Mike Wittlin, Prospect Pictures, Laura Smith/Bill Bodnar, Happy Walters, Michele Caro, The Araca Group

Mary Stuart
    New Version: Peter Oswald
    Producers: Arielle Tepper Madover, Debra Black, Neal Street Productions/Matthew Byam Shaw, Scott Delman, Barbara Whitman, Jean Doumanian/Ruth Hendel, David Binder/CarlWend Productions/Spring Sirkin, Daryl Roth/James L. Nederlander/Chase Mishkin, The Donmar Warehouse

The Norman Conquests
    Producers: Sonia Friedman Productions, Steven Baruch, Marc Routh, Richard Frankel, Tom Viertel, Dede Harris, Tulchin/Bartner/Lauren Doll, Jamie deRoy, Eric Falkenstein, Harriet Newman Leve, Probo Productions, Douglas G. Smith, Michael Filerman/Jennifer Manocherian, Richard Winkler, Dan Frishwasser, Pam Laudenslager/Remmel T. Dickinson, Jane Dubin/True Love Productions, Barbara Manocherian/Jennifer Isaacson, The Old Vic Theatre Company

Hair
    Producers: The Public Theater, Oskar Eustis, Andrew D. Hamingson, Jeffrey Richards, Jerry Frankel, Gary Goddard Entertainment, Kathleen K. Johnson, Nederlander Productions, Inc., Fran Kirmser Productions/Jed Bernstein, Marc Frankel, Broadway Across America, Barbara Manocherian/Wencarlar Productions, JK Productions/Terry Schnuck, Andy Sandberg, Jam Theatricals, The Weinstein Company/Norton Herrick, Jujamcyn Theaters, Joey Parnes, Elizabeth Ireland McCann

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

5. Moderator1

You read reviews and message boards and find out it is a love-hate thing. People are all in or all out. One of the complaints from NY audiences is the show is "too British."
    My guess is it will win.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thanks for posting that, that's pretty cool. I also hadn't heard of anyone other than Rita Moreno who had done it all.

Hers might still be the most significant achievement, because she did it in a span of only 16 years and was only 46 when she capped it, but it's still remarkable when anyone can win all four, no matter how long it takes them or how old they are.

And yeah, Richard Rodgers and Marvin Hamlisch are most definitely studs for pulling off The Big Four plus the Pulitzer. Most definitely.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

"Rock of Ages"? I haven't seen it, and it got a great review from the NY Times, but it's a jukebox musical based on the big-hair metal bands of the 80s. ("Sister Christian" plays a big part in it.)

I get that it's probably a lot of fun, but up for Best Musical? Wow.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

My niece -- who will be majoring in Theater production/management at Fordham in the fall -- absolutely loved Billy Elliot and Hair.
    She and her friend even ended up on stage for the finale of Hair when they invite people from the first five or 10 rows to join in.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Now that Charlton Heston is dead, I can't think of anyone who leans far enough to the right to get the nod.

Oops, sorry.

Wrong Tony.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Did Scarsdale Surprise get nominated?

11. Moderator1

She see it in the theater or the park?
    Night we went, they originally did as you describe. THEN they invited everyone up. It was nuts and lots of fun.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

In the theater...I think they were in the third row.

Draft saved Draft deleted