1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Tom Coughlin video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He asked whether we have a problem with celebrations after walk-off home runs in baseball.

I said, "no," because those are spontaneous.

Football teams have spontaneous celebrations on the field, as well, when they win the game in the last second. People don't have a problem with those. The problem here is that it was in the locker room later, minutes removed from the initial burst of euphoria.

2. Raiders

Raiders Guest

And the reason it was minutes removed was so they could do it in the privacy of their locker room and, you know, not show up the Patriots or shove it in the public eye. And people have a problem with that?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it. I was just saying that the walk-off celebration is not a fair equivalent.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fail to see what the problem is. The Giants won a huge game without two of their best players - Nicks and Bradshaw and a banged up D Line.

Did like the part when Coughlin said "that was a hell of a win, let's pray."

Always wonder in those situations what the non Christians think.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Football teams have spontaneous celebrations on the field, as well, when they win the game in the last second. People don't have a problem with those. The problem here is that it was in the locker room later, minutes removed from the initial burst of euphoria.

Good lord, walk away from the keyboard.

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I posted it because it showed a different side of Coughlin than the one we usually see. It was a fun, unscripted moment -- by the time we got in the locker room the players were respective of the Patriots and had definitely calmed down. If NFL Films hadn't captured that moment, we'd probably never know about it. Or I don't know, maybe bopping and chanting "See ya Wednesday" happens all the time after any win?
    I do wish the camera had panned around the room when Coughlin and some of the players dropped and said the Lord's Prayer. What do the non-Christian guys do at that moment? And the trainers or locker room guys who are of the Jewish faith, do they shuffle uncomfortably or go about their business or what? It was a cool glimpse inside the bubble.

7. Boom_70

"jewish trainers" ? Come on GB. You're better than that. : )

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So the Giants should have carried Coughlin off the field on their shoulders? That would have been OK because it would have been more spontaneous?

I don't see a problem with the Giants being respectful enough to not show up the Patriots on the field, but being excited about winning a big game with a touchdown drive in the final 1:36.

9. Boom_70

I knew this would happen when they created "silent soccer games".

Now it's creeping into the NFL>

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Boom, it's my understanding that at least a couple of the trainers and/or locker room guys are of the Jewish faith, so I changed the wording to reflect your concerns. :)

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember reading in Mike Sowell's "The Pitch that Killed" (about Ray Chapman's death and the 1920 season) about a big game with the Indians and the Yankees.

Someone (I think it was Tris Speaker, but my memory is hazy) hits a home run around the 5th inning to put the Indians ahead of the Yankees, and the ballpark goes nuts. Parents put their kids on the field to shake his hand, standing ovations, etc. Then the mayor of Cleveland, who had just received a gubernatiorial nomination and was late to the game, comes in, makes a big entrance and the Indians players stop over to shake his hand.

I remember thinking, "Really? They stopped a game to shake a politician's hand? Stupid stuff."

Then the Yankees came back and won the game, which I thought was hilarious. Today, we'd be calling that premature celebration. Back then, I guess it was a part of the game.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've often wondered about that. In the NFL and college football, you always see teams praying. What about players who don't want to pray? Do they just go along, or, like in "Major League", make a trip to their "office".

Draft saved Draft deleted