1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Times They Are A'Changin'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Oct 27, 2006.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

And now for the latest heart-rending episode in Broadway's own reality soap opera, "When Bad Shows Happen to Great Songwriters."

If you happen to be among the masochists who make a habit of attending the entertainments called jukebox musicals, in which pop hits are beaten up by singing robots, you may think you've seen it all: the neutering of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys in "Good Vibrations," the canonizing (and shrinking) of John Lennon as a misunderstood angel-child in "Lennon," and the forcible transformation of Johnny Cash from Man in Black to Sunshine Cowboy in "Ring of Fire."

But even these spectacles of torture with a smile, frightening though they may be, are but bagatelles compared with the systematic steamrolling of Bob Dylan that occurs in "The Times They Are A-Changin'," which opened last night at the Brooks Atkinson Theater. (NY Times)

Watch the 'Like A Rollin Stone' production number:
    http://www.bestweekever.tv/2006/10/25/icymi-bob-dylan-is-like-a-rollin-over-in-his-grave/

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Yes, the number is horrible.

But, VH1 says Dylan is dead?

Umm. No, he's not.

3. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

what. the. fuck.

4. carrie

carrie Active Member

... Ron Burgundy had never heard that song ...

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mamma Mia is a very good musical, and I understand Jersey Boys is good, too. That said, Dylan on Broadway can't be a good idea.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wasn't the worst thing in the world. But the dancers sort of remind me of the characters from Total Coehlo's "I Eat Cannibal" video. Or do they look like the zombies from Thriller? Eh, whatever.

Can't be any worse than this (and be honest, who here at SportsJournalists.com was at this show?!)

[​IMG]

7. Some men can live up to their loftiest ideals without ever going higher than a basement.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I sooo would have been there, but I was only 8 at the time and I lived some 650 miles away.

And while we're talking about Broadway musical dreck, can we add Movin' Out?

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

C'mon, I saw Huey Lewis in New Haven about 1987. But I was comped. He was good!

Draft saved Draft deleted