1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Times' newsroom set to ring with the sounds of typewriters once more

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 27, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Pretty fun story.
    Now if only to pump cigarette smoke through the ventilation and fetch the bottle of Evan Williams from the top drawer (next to the Pepto, next to the X-Acto knife).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/the-times-newsroom-set-to-ring-with-the-sounds-of-typewriters-once-more-9692335.html

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

What about the teletype machines and gruff old editors calling for a copyboy?

This is going to be a bust.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What is it about newspapers and useless ideas that just go together?

4. 3_Octave_Fart

Easy target.
    Anything dying or already obsolete will look ridiculous with passage of time.
    Think about road maps and film developing centers, and try not to smile.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Side note: It's the Times of London.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

Wink-wink to the posters here who swing from the ballsac of "the Times."

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's not even the dying or obsolecence. It's the stupidity that goes with it. Seriously, the business has a multitude of problems, yet, the highly-paid execs sit around their boardrooms and come up with a dumb idea such as pumping in volume of typewriters to motivate their staff?

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

As well as the proportion wheel and editors saying "cut it where it falls" when stories are too long.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Still have my pica pole. Makes a good back-scratcher.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And the drawer full of velox headshots.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's funny. We decided a few years ago to cut our all-county basketball team from 10 to 5. This one coach was really upset about it. I told him years ago (before I got here) that all-county was five. He said no way. So I dug into the drawer and found an all-county pic from 1992. There were five players in the picture. He was one of them.

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I downloaded the Hanx Writer app mentioned in the story. It's kinda fun. I might use it next time I need to type something. Hopefully it's not full of bugs and crashes.

Draft saved Draft deleted