1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the Thumb

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, May 4, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Ended up heave-hoing my first softball player as an umpire tonight (used to work baseball back in the day, so I had my delivery down pat).

Good men's league game. Several close calls all over the place, including two safe calls by me at home. Visiting team's 2B mocked the other team once, and we called the two coaches together to tell them to pipe down -- at us and each other.

Next half-inning, 2B misses a tag on a baserunner, and spikes the ball hard. That was it for me. See ya.

RB

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not sure what's more astonishing - that you're proud of being a hard-ass umpire in rec league softball, or that you actually felt the need to start a thread about it.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's it?
    If you had ever worked a Miller High Life-Pepperidge Farm game in the Ann Arbor Capitol League, we'd have bought you tampoons and Mydol between games of the doubleheader.

4. Rockbottom

Felt like sharing, DoubleJ. Feel free to step the fuck off. :) People share all kinds of inane crap here.

And Slapster, I had the thumb cocked and reeady about three times earlier in the game but let 'em play.

RB

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Stepping the fuck off......but I'll kick some dirt on your shoes before I do. ;D

6. Rockbottom

Hahaha. Now, see, I would just find that hilarious and let it slide. :)

RB

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Ended up actually posting my first inane story as an poster on SportsJournalists.com tonight (used to lurk on sportspages back in the day, so I had my style down pat).

Good Anything Goes board. Several solid threads all over the place, including two with solid posts by me. A few days ago, Boom_70 and DD mocked each other over on Journalism Topics Only, and the moderators stepped in to tell them to pipe down.

A few days later, I get home from a softball game during which I particularly relished an ejection. That was it for me. See ya.

RB

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Careful, CI, or I'll run your ass.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

You ran him for spiking the ball?

He didn't say anything to you?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Funny you mention that..,. am watching Mr. Baseball now and there was an on-field argument. Remembered that the worst insult you can say in Japanese baseball is to call them a Chinese cocksucker....

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You callin' me a cocksucker?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Call me a cocksucker and you're out of here!

Draft saved Draft deleted