1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "The Last Dance" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Apr 19, 2020.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It’s adorable how they keep trying to compare the Pistons walking off in 1991 to Boston walking off in Detroit in 1988. When the Celtics walked off it was for their safety. They played in the Pontiac Silverdome at the time and 40,000 people were on the verge of rushing the court. It’s not apples to apples.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

F the Pistons then. F the Pistons now.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hour and 53 in.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, years ago I was walking between appointments in NYC and ducked into a lobby to recharge. There's a crowd in there and some commotion. I look up the stairs, and here comes Dennis Rodman in a wedding dress. And I wasn't in black tie.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You picked the wrong day not to start taking acid.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, you don't see that every day.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Bold move by Krause firing Collins.

Tough to be Scott Burrell this morning.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It's bold in hindsight because Jordan loved Collins. That was his guy. People that knew nothing about the Jordan-era Bulls before their championships could assume that Jordan ran off Collins, but that wasn't the case at all. Once again, can you think of a situation where that would happen today? More than that there could never be a situation where a player of Jordan's stature would even be saddled with a GM like Krause that often went against him. The balance of power between players and execs has shifted so far the other way.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The media's largely responsible for that. When reporters started becoming their own brands, they aligned more with players than coaches.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the NBA the power has always been with the superstars. The media wasn't responsible for Wilt getting coaches fired in the '60s. Logic tells us that an employee making five or more times than another employee will have more organizational clout no matter what their titles are.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Then disagree with Happy Curdmugeon, not me.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I thought I was disagreeing with you both. Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted