1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the sunday comics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by leo1, Jun 18, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That said, the current "Nancy" may be the absolute dumbest strip out there. I can feel brain cells dying each time I read one.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The old "Nancy" was the dumbest strip out there.

We may have a record for longest continuing dumbest strip out there.

That is, unless Fred Bassett is still in syndication.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The current "Nancy" is indeed pretty dumb, but it isn't nearly as mind-numbingly dopey as the old Ernie Bushmiller "classics". Yack. :p

The fact that they've turned Aunt Fritzi into a semi-Salma Hayek-looking hottie, ramps up the interest factor, from 0.00000001 on the Richter scale, all the way to 0.00000002.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bushmiller's Nancy was LCD-driven . . . as is Family Circus . . . as is Garfield. Take simple characters, three situations, and
    juggle them endlessly, sans imagination.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

This thread is nothing without pictures (I always wanted to say that).

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No surprise to see "Zits" get a lot of props...it's drawn by Jim Borgman, the kick-ass (and Pulitzer-winning) editorial cartoonist at the Cinci Enquirer. I love Borgman on the ed page or the funny page.

I think "Opus" is good too, I'm glad that guy brought the strip back in a different form. And I'll read Peanuts 'til the end of time.

7. shecky

shecky Member

Another strong vote for Get Fuzzy, followed by Non Sequitur and Zits.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If Non Sequitur can generate a greater variety of gags in the future . . . well, it's built a solid base, and with
    improvement, could emerge as one of the great cult strips . . . though it's already too sophisticated for many.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Borgman's handling of Zits' father character, alone, puts the strip at the modern forefront.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I too miss Calvin and Hobbes (and Calvin's comic book hero Captain Napalm, and his cereal Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs).

I read on a daily basis Beelte Bailey, Blondie, Zits, Fox Trot, For Better or for Worse, Dilbert, Peanuts, Garfield and Dennis the Menace. Very few make me laugh, but the ones that occasionally do are Fox Trot, Beetle Bailey and Zits.

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Pearls Before Swine and Frazz are highlights.

12. sportsed

sportsed Guest

People on here (I can't remember who ... sorry) have posted comics from the Internet that are 300x more funny that anything that runs in your typical daily. Get Fuzzy is the leader of the pack, with Fox Trot getting some votes. And you know what, I like Hi and Lois. It's not edgy but it's not maudlin or preachy either. It's just nice.

Zits is a piece of crap cut into thirds. Can't standing the drawing style, with the kid's gigantic backpack and tennis shoes. Why does the mom look like a white version of Cleveland's wife from the Family Guy? Awful strip.

Draft saved Draft deleted