1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sun-Times Lesson for all of us

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There's a thread here about Chicago Sun-Times writer Mike Kiley being fired, apparently for some problem with his expense reports.

I know we all joke about fudging the paperwork and getting receipts for dinners that others have paid for and phantom cab rides, but these are different times. Papers are watching every dime and they're also anxious to lop tenured people off the payroll whenever possible -- either to replace them with someone cheaper or to leave the position open.

So my admittedly preachy point is whatever small gain you might make inflating expenses or doing unauthorized freelance stuff or getting free tickets isn't worth it. Somebody might find out and you could blow your income, your retirement and everything else. It isn't worth it, especially when jobs are tough to come by in these days of savage cutbacks.

Thus concludes today's sermon, but it's a point I thought needed to be raised.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I thought the lesson was going to be: Don't hire Jay Mariotti

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nice way to welch on your promise of a lunch whenever we met up, Smasher.

Cheap bastard. Now I'll have to fight for scraps with Norm MacLean. Thanks. :mad: :D

4. Smasher_Sloan

That's too obvious.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Hey, we're good for lunch for however long Wendy's keeps the 99 cent menu. Guaranteed.

You could lose a thumb trying to take that last fruit cup away from Norm in the Shea press room.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Only a thumb?

And I'm hungry so I'm ordering like three of those five-piece chicken nuggets thingies.

7. Smasher_Sloan

You're right -- an entire hand is more likely.

You're good for up to $5 on the lunch. The allotment is up to you. Remember -- a Frosty lasts a while, especially with your time out for the head freeze.

8. Superman

Superman Guest

Also, keep pretending we all work only 40 hours per week as far as the timesheet goes. Surely we can get all that work done under 40. After all, we're just watching games. ;)

9. markvid

markvid Guest

But the new vanilla one tastes like a McDonald's milk shake.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Last McDonalds milkshake I had caused me to shit and vomit stuff I was sure my body had discarded a week ago. Longest day of my life.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

:eek:

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Last year I wrote my expenses off on taxes and came out further ahead than if I'd gotten them from my paper.

Bring it, IRS! I saved all my receipts.

Audit me and all I get is a day off work.

Draft saved Draft deleted