1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The stupidest thing your state high school association allows to happen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Apr 28, 2010.

1. I present to you the Maine Principles Association

http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2011/11/14/mpa-wins-ruling-against-three-players-from-deering/

I think the judge ruled correctly on how the plantiffs presented their case, but it shouldn't have gone that far because of the MPA uptight rules

They were worried about a super team being created Portland High School, the team these kids were going to play for, went 2-16 this season.

Another example is school cooped with another school this season in hockey...The combined enrollment put them in Class A, but the MPA gave them a Class B schedule (lower class) and didn't realize the mix-up until ten days before the season started. They played the Class B schedule but were listed in the Class A standings. The MPA decided inf they finished in the top 8 of the Class A East Standings their would be a play in game between the eighth and nine place team in A East to determine the final playoff spot. The Coop finished in 8th won the play in game then proceeded to to get smoked by the 1 seed.

Cutting the regular season games back and limiting exhibition games in all sports. Killing hockey because of only 18 regular season games players are going to juniors/midget playing 50-60 games a year or prep 30 games a year. The top talent is leaving the state.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Wow. 18 games? I believe Michigan is 24, and even that seems a tad on the short side.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Got a new one: The KHSAA has created a fall sports championship weekend for Nov. 13, 2013. Cross country, volleyball and soccer would have championship games that day, but we don't know if they're going to be in the same location or spread out like they have been.

It isn't really a big deal to my paper because rarely if ever do our soccer or volleyball teams make it to the finals. But for a paper like the Courier Journal or the Lexington Herald Leader, that weekend is going to be hell.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

How about for the schools, kids, teachers and families?

You know it's likely some schools will have multiple kids/teams.

You cannot always avoid that, but why set it up that way?

(In New York, the basketball title games are an hour apart, so they could make arrangements in case that happened.)

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one.

But those were the only details they released. Nothing about where the championships are being held, or times.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That is one thing Mississippi does right with its preps. All of the state championships, both MHSAA and MAIS, are held within a 10-mile radius of downtown Jackson.

That worked out to our advantage a couple of years ago when we had teams playing in both the state fast-pitch softball and baseball championships on the same day.

Draft saved Draft deleted