1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Strangers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, May 28, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

So you're looking for something like a psychological thriller (Misery, The Omen, Carrie, Sixth Sense), maybe, instead of the modern gore-fest (Saw, Hostel, etc.) or the straightforward slasher flicks (Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Scream, etc.) of yore?

2. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

There's another movie coming out soon with a similar idea called Baghead.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/baghead/

At least it seems similar. After watching the trailer, I don't know what to think.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Frenzy would probably be the best of all worlds.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Saw it tonight. Very, very, very good.

And here's what I loved - They built the tension with sounds, especially the music, and it gets the adrenaline pumping.

I really enjoyed it. Anything that toys with your mind ...right up my alley.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The loveseat-for-dad douchebags.

Duplass brothers.

7. Not really the thriller type, but a true horror flick. Saw is a perfect example of my type of horror movie -- good story, scary and a great deal of psychological edge to it. I'm a big fan of Halloween, Scream, etc.

I don't know ... I think I'm just talking out of my butt.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thought I saw this thread last week, and after going to see the movie with the wife tonight, I had to resurrect it. If for no other reason than to vent.
    The music was great, creepy, and they captured that familiar-yet-unfamiliar feeling of a summer home beautifully. There were a few genuine creepy moments, and nowhere near as much gore as I'd feared. The one true bit of nasty gore worked into the plot nicely.
    Overall, a good movie for 1 hour, 29 minutes and 30 seconds. But WTF was up with the ending!? I could think of a dozen different ways to end that movie that would've been better. They went for the cheap scare and ruined what could've been a really good and underrated movie.
    There were also a few plot holes that jumped out at me upon further review ... like just walk down the road with the shotgun when killers are after you...or yell out your buddy's name when you're looking for him. But I digress...
    The ending dropped it from three stars to two for me. I'd still recommend it if you like scares.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's about where I am on it.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Pretty damn standard film.

Seriously, every horror fan has seen this a hundred times. Absolutely nothing new or exciting to add to the table

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just watched this via Netflix tonight.

Meh.

Meh.

Lots of plot holes. Somewhat surprised Liv Tyler lives.

Meh.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well thanks for THAT spoiler.

Guess I'll just cross it off the list of Friday's Halloween viewing choices.

I will get you, Cosmo. Either now or in the playoffs. :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted