1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The State: SC QB Mitchell suspended indefinitely

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Carolina fans are hoping their Cocks bust a Nutt when they play Arkansas.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Personally, I liked reading the story because it gave the reporter a chance to bring up Steve Tannyhill's name. For that alone, I'm glad I read the story.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So do Satan Steve's worshippers blame this on Lou Holtz, too?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

College kids get in fights. They pay their penance.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Definitely (cq'ed the spelling). But all I hear about is how Spurrier is having such a hard time "cleaning up the program," with everyone bitching that Holtz brought in all the bad-character guys.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, Holtz has never really been above bring in 'bad-character' guys. Neither has Spurrier. Neither has virtually any coach.

Win, win, win. :)

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wicked, Holtz has left a trail of sh_t behind him at four college programs. Not one - four. Now I'm not stupid enough to say all the kids Spurrier had in Gainesville were nice, button-down, tie-wearing, milk-drinking, church-going types that walked perfectly in rank and file but I didn't hear of too much crap going on down there. I can tell you it didn't happen at Duke.

I'm not here to blame Holtz again - that's too easy - but facts are facts.

8. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Just saying ... Chris Smelley is a bad man and will be a much badder man than Blake M. in short order.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sam, not saying Holtz was bringing in choir boys. But there's only so long you can blame him for all the swill in the program -- and only so much for which you can blame him. Spurrier's had a year to yank the kid's scholarship if he was that much of a punk.

10. Sam Mills 51

Maybe ... but he'll be behind Syvelle Newton for at least one more game.

11. Sam Mills 51

I can't say that Spurrier has thrown numerous kids out, but he's taking action more swiftly than Holtz did. Give this two more years ... at that point, we'll be better able to determine if Spurrier took proper action. By then, he'll have enough recruiting classes to get more of his kids in, and maybe a few extra to give him the luxury of tossing the bad apples out.

Meanwhile, unless Spurrier gets tired of coaching, the school will hang on for the ride. He'll get a long leash ... of course, most of the Chickens' fans are too stupid and too short-sighted to notice anything other than wins and losses. Besides, Clemson taught everyone in the state back in 1981 that cheating is fine - as long as one comes away with a national title.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A few random thoughts:

It's Taneyhill

My favorite bumper sticker of all time is the You can't lick our 'Cocks one USC fans have

As a Georgia fan, I find plenty to loathe about Spurrier, but you've got to give the guy props for running a clean program. Either the off-field crap wasn't happening in Gainesville or he was very adept at getting it covered up. I know this, he's been questioning the commitment of the players in the USC program since he got there, and this incident lends credence to those complaints. When this sort of thing happens during the season, you really have to wonder how committed the player is.

Draft saved Draft deleted