1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The state of our world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AVSE, Jan 26, 2009.

1. AVSE

AVSE Member

Great column by TJ Simers

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers25-2009jan25,0,1111653.column

2. That's nice work.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Very nice of Simers and nothing against Dilbeck. But in the last couple days, Pfizer Inc. and Sprint Nextel Corp. each cut 8,000 jobs, Caterpillar Inc. cut another 5,000, Home Depot Inc. 7,000 jobs, and General Motors Corp. 2,000. Last week, it was Microsoft Corp. (5,000 jobs), Intel Corp. (6,000 jobs) and United Airlines (1,000 jobs). Each of those 42,000 people, many of whom also have families and mortgages and car payments, is worthy of a nice sendoff story, too.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Only problem is..... without so many giving a shit about Kent crying, none of us ever had these jobs.

Steve wrote a hell of a column on Matt McHale, IIRC.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's 42,000 Plan Bs.

6. harbinger

harbinger Member

Uh, I think the point is that Dilbeck and by extension, the other millions out of a job, are more worthy of a nice sendoff than a rich, self-absorbed prick like Kent.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Exactly. And how many people getting laid off actually loved what they did? I'm sure the vast majority didn't...but got every day because they had to.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And my point is that precious few people care about Dilbeck losing his job, nor should they, when people in their own families are losing their jobs, too. And regardless of what you or anyone else thinks about Kent on a personal level, he was a Hall-of-Fame caliber player and readers are interested in his retirement and parting thoughts. Kent is newsworthy, Dilbeck isn't.

9. Columns aren't about "newsworthy" or not.
    They're about analysis and about perspective and about opinion.
    I thought Simers did a helluva job with that here.
    And AL, you can replace Dilbeck with any one of the 20K at Caterpillar. Doesn't diminish the point at all.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not.

But then again, I have my priorities straight.

I know, I'm in the minority there. :)

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I couldn't care less about Jeff Kent.
    Don't even know who Dilbeck is.
    My opinion of Simers is very well documented here.

And I thought that was an outstanding column.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit. I did not see that one coming, at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted