1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Star-Ledger Sports Section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Minnesota4Ever, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Does anyone know what's going on with the paper? The sports section used to be good, but now it's cluttered badly and the stories are just short. The Nets and Devils coverage have been horrible along with Rutgers basketball (men's and women's) and Seton Hall this year. I hear rumors that the paper is cutting back due to budget constraints. It's dissapointing. I always read the paper everyday for great insights and great feature. I would always love to read the layout design for the cover of the front page of the sports section. Now it's just messy and everything. It's dissapointing.

2. There are some people here who can answer your questions much better than I can, Minnesota, but I generally agree with you. I do know their budget has been axed pretty badly. I don't think they're traveling as much as they did. I know they don't cover as much as they used to.

They've made some hires, but they're kids -- really green. For a long time, seven or eight years, they tried to do far-reaching centerpieces and features, but they've backed off. The section seems tarted up -- stories seem to be overplayed just for display. That's just for starters.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't see the section that often, but I was in Jersey for the Holidays and wasn't unimpressed. The Star-Ledger didn't really blow me away, but I thought it was doing a real good job with Rutgers football and I remember reading some good stories about the Giants.

The Nets/Devils coverage wasn't overwhelming, usually just a story down the gutter on the front and maybe a notebook inside, but I don't think there was a lot of interest. My in-laws used to be big fans of both teams, the Devils especially, and I don't think I heard them mentioned once while I was there. Everyone was on the Rutgers bandwagon.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The Star Ledger newsroom as a whole has had to deal with cutbacks and buyouts, and bringing in college kids to help with things. I'm not sure what roles the kids are filling in sports -- if they're just coding agate/ putting together wraps for the Ledger (or The Times), just helping with the pagination of The Times so the regular Ledger staff can focus on the Ledger, or what.

Remember not only has the Ledger lost newsroom staff due to buyouts, but the Ledger newsroom staff also has to handle many production aspects of The Times (of Trenton) as well due to the agreement between the two papers. So the Ledger is being asked to do more with less.

5. That's pretty interesting, spnited. Wasn't this guy supposed to be somewhat of a hotshot -- worked at the Ledger, helped Kansas City get even better, then came "home?" I haven't seen any progress under his watch, but I'd assumed that was because of a lack of money, not because he couldn't do the job.

That's a nice staff of veterans, too. I'd heard about the disorganized part -- the word is out that some very good veterans with high pedigrees wanted to work there, but were ignored. They really miss Mike Vaccaro, who I thought was perfect for Jersey. Steve Politi is fine, but he's a good feature writer who can't quite pull it off as a columnist.

When you talk about MAJOR beats, is it personnel-related or money-related? I know they pulled off the Rangers beat; I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped covering the Knicks and maybe even the Mets. (The Jets are moving to Jersey, so I'd guess that one is safe.)

It's a shame. I always thought the Ledger was perfect for Jersey.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Baseball beats... oh Lord. Please don't let it involve not traveling with the Mets or Yanks. If that happens, that could be the domino effect across the country.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Keep in mind the Trenton Times has outsourced its local high school coverage to the same organization that handles the same company that does high schools for the Ledger. So that short-handed staff is trying to gather the results for two papers in addition to trying to put everything on the net.

8. Sly

Sly Active Member

Can't speak for the rest of the section because I don't read it, but I like Politi as a columnist and make it a point to check him out online. And no, I'm not Steve, nor do I know him.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I am told it has to do with personnel ... not a cutback in travel

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

One of the most underrated takeout writers in the country, I think. They should have made him a columnist as he has a bit more edge than most takeout people.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

i can't argue that. manahan rocks. it's a huge loss for sports.

12. I will say this. Brendan Prunty and Jermey Cothran have done a very good job from what I read. Prunt and I email a lot on sports and I enjoy reading him.

Bridget Wentworth is being underused and that's sad since she is very good at what she does. I got to meet her on Big East Media Day for Women's Hoops and she was fun to talk to.

I am just not happy with the limited sports coverage. It's just bland. The Record is starting to get better.

I might cancel my subscription to the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted