1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sporting News NFL Guide and Register

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stone Cane, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

I assume these weren't published this year? I haven't seen them in any bookstores, and there's no sign of any 2007 editions on the TSN web site in the bookstore @ http://tsn.sportingnews.com/books/football/index.html

It's a shame - the Sporting News NFL guide had been published every year since at least the mid-1960s and the register started I think in the 1970s. Even in the internet age, they remained invaluable resources for league guys and beat guys. Did TSN also cease publication of all its baseball books -- there were a bunch of them -- and everything else?

You'd hope some publisher buys the rights to them, but I guess if they could make money, TSN would have continued putting them out.

Sad.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I do know that TSN's outstanding "Complete Baseball Record Book" is only available online -- that is, it was published electronically and is available for free (by download) at http://www.sportingnews.com/books/baseball/2007baseballrecordbook/index.html. It's not being sold in stores.

I don't know if the football book was published the same way.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

TSN doesn't seem to be in the big leagues anymore.

How many here still read the magazine, or use the website?

I gave up on both a few years ago.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh boy. This will not end well.

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I'm not happy about that, either. But the mag and the website don't do it for me these days.

6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

If you want to turn this into a forum on editorial content of the web site or the magazine, please do it elsewhere. If anybody has information on the publications end of The Sporting News, please share what you know.

Thanks

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Here ya go, Stoney:

1-800-380-7404

You can call TSN Books and ask them yourself.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Dr. Z wrote in his column recently that TSN ceased publishing them to his knowledge.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

yeah, i know there's a number ... The books don't exist anymore, that much seemed clear ... I was just looking for some insight into what happened

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Well, TSN keeps cutting back and then cutting back more, so that probably is part of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted