1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Social Network

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Different strokes... I thought it was the best movie I've seen this year. I was mesmerized. I thought Eisenberg gave an Oscar worthy performance. I don't know if the movie is Oscar worthy, that remains to be seen.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I am somewhere in between. It wasn't a great, great drama. But I am still amazed they could take such a seemingly nothing & boring story and actually keep it moving along enough to keep me interested. I saw it in a packed theater and I got the sense most of the audience felt the same way. But as with movies, I know it is always a different strokes thing.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hype was enormous, especially in the Northeast, because there are so many Sorkin syncophants out there. Expect some people caught in the hype machine would be at least marginally disappointed.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Just saw it for the second time (the first time was a freebie showing provided by the newspaper). Liked it better the second time because I could actually follow the conversations. Sometimes they were speaking so fast it made my head spin. I do like the way Eisenberg seemed to have that complete nerd not getting why people didn't like him thing down. And the guy who plays Eduardo was great I thought. I liked Timberlake's performance. He was perfectly smarmy. I also saw Catfish a week ago and agree it certainly is a good one to see after TSN. One thing about being a member/poster on message boards is it teaches you to be naturally suspicious on the Internet, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

5. Mizzougrad96

I want someone to explain to me how Catfish isn't one of the worst movies to ever hit theaters.

The previews were awesome. The movie had no redeemable qualities.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You've saved me the time. Trailers looked as phony as those for that other low-budget quasi-home-movie from last year, which was also a piece of shit, and about as scary as a Casper cartoon.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

As a whole "The Social Network" was a great story - but I think "Accidental Billionaires" should be read as a primer before going to see the film.

The movie plodded along at some parts. I expected it to be a little more edgy and fast-paced, like the regatta scene, but as a whole, it exhibited how all of these brilliant people were trying to screw each other over in any way possible.

The truest and best line in the movie was the last line, delivered by Rashida Jones. Her character was the only one in the movie who actually reached out in some way to Mark Zuckerberg, rather than trying to find a way to get something out of him.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just finished seeing it a few minutes ago. Not best movie of the year caliber but a good film.
    writing was good, as per sorkin's ratatat style. And i thought it was a great scene when he gets the "ur a dick" note and leaves but the professor calls him out. So walking away and clearly distracted he busts out the answer and the professor is left to ask the rest how he got it.
    it nicely captured zuckerberg, i thought.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

The guy who played the professor is a good buddy of mine, fwiw. Shocked as shit to see him in it.

I liked TSN a lot. The guy who played the twin villain brothers wasn't so great, for me. I was like "okay, I get it. you're the villllllllains..."

BTW-the young man who played Eduardo...he's replacing Tobey Maguire in the Spider Man franchise.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I wanted to see it again on cheap movie night here in my neck of the woods, but the weather (snow) is terrible.

And off topic, the new Spidey reboot, gosh, it's going to be awfully hard to top the first two of the original franchise.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Liked it very much. Thought of Zodiac when watching TSN. Fincher manages to get an awful lot of tension out of a minimum of physical action and a lot of people talking, so much that it would drag down other films. Reznor did amazing stuff. I liked Timberlake's performance up until the wind-down. Zuckerberg was portrayed like an Aspberger's or Aspeberger's-lite kid. Is that sorta overdone based on what's out there?

YHS, etc

12. Mizzougrad96

I've never seen Zuckerberg interviewed before, but as a relative of someone who has high-functioning Aspergers, Eisenberg was spot on.

Draft saved Draft deleted